favor request regarding 1995 or so Honeywell Chronotherm III

Hoping someone here remembers way back then or has an old installation manual around.

I've asked some of the locals and they scratch their foreheads but don't recall the specifics.

I'm here in mid Michigan, the economy is lousy, and our religious group is desperately trying to save money.

The building used to be occupied pretty steadily. Way back. But now it's just one day/week of services.

The first floor is the sanctuary. The basement has some tables, as well as the utility room with the furnace, a kitchen, and bathroom. The only water is in those three areas, which are in a corner near the walls.

Forced air, high efficiency furnace. Ductwork feeds both floors. (a/c, too).

Anyway... I've dropped the thermostat to its lowest setting of 45 degrees, and we raise it to 70 or so on the days we have services.

I'd like to lower it even further... say to 30 or so. Since the pipes are downstairs and close to the furnace, freezing shouldn't be a problem. Could probably go even lower, but 30 would be a good number.

However... the lowest number the Chronotherm will go to is 45 degrees. So we're still using lots of natural gas we'd rather not waste.

The local guys, who've been very helpful in other stuff for us and for individual jobs, are pretty sure there was an option to reset the limits, but don't remember how and where for this unit.

Anyone with pointers? Thanks.

It's a mid 1990s Chronotherm III, model T8621A7002 - 9310.

Seven days by four periods. Heating and A/C.

Thanks again.

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein

Would it be easier to put heat tape on the pipes and drains. And then just swith the heat off when not needed?

You could get thick, heavy curtains for the windows to further help hold the heat in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been tempted to do that, or even small electric heater in the bathroom. if set to 40 degrees there, and the door is closed, it won't use much.

But I'd rather not let the main sanctuary drop down to the zero degrees we commonly get in the winter. It would also take a _long_ time to warm up from zero. The furnace raises the temperature two or so degrees/hour. So bringing the sanctuary from zero to 70 would take just about forever.

(kind of like being in a VW "transporter", aka "hippy wagon", in the Good Old Days, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting... to get up to highway speeds).

- Oh, I found the "installer instructions" on the internet, but they're for newer units. They described holding in the "heat/cool" button at the same time as the "hotter" and "colder" ones and that would get into the special programming mode. I figured I'd give it a try.

But no good....

Thanks again.

Reply to
danny burstein

I have a Chromotherm IV. FWIW, there is indeed a method of setting temperature range stops in the IV. Therefore, the Chromotherm III may be adjustable as well.

However, only the highest setting the heating can be set to is adjustable: from a constant 40 up to 89 deg. In other words, the lower temp can't be changed (according to the installation manual).

Mine does go down to 40 deg when I manually run the temp button down.

This a stretch, but you could try calling Honeywell at 1-800-468-1502 to see if, by chance, the lower end is adjustable on the III.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Thanks, I'll give them a call during business hours.

Reply to
danny burstein

It's gonna get worse as people wake up and realize that religion is just a scam and there is no god. Fewer and fewer people will be attending your church.

My advice? Burn the church to the ground and rip off the insurance company instead of your parishioners.

Reply to
HVAC

Good Lord! That was sophomoric and uncalled for! Why would you write such nasty things, are you a 14 year old punk?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So, the day before services (Saturday evening) you go turn the heat back on, with the thermostat set way down. You don't have to do all or nothing. You can do no-heat and space heater five days of the week, low thermostat on saturday, and furnace heat on Sunday.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most 14 yo's are more mature.

Reply to