Fanhandler Rocks!

Just wanted to thank Jake for his tip on the Fanhandler--put it in last night (took awhile to get it--what a pain) and it works perfect! Installation is jokingly simple, requiring only a quick study of the schematic for the furnace, a simple series connection, and intelligent placement of device / routing of wires (I ought to take a picture of this install--it looks factory... : )

Now, this company could make a killing selling these things at a Home Depot or something... This contractor-only policy is funny--the company sent me 2 shops in my area (a major city) that supposedly deal with their product and one is closed down and the other was a wrong address and phone number; when I finally found them, the owner said he has

*never* had anyone ask for it and still has the example model from Fanhandler that they gave him over 5yrs ago...

I don't see how getting an HVAC guy to order it for me helps them sell it... the guy I found wasn't even curious to see it... he also suggested that there's "cheaper" ways to do this...

There are a ton of people like myself who search for the best answers / products --we're the ones who they should be selling to (along with the HVAC guys who quote $1200 to install one of these--or some other inferior method).. hehehe

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman

Maybe you should call FanHandler and have them set you up as their installer. At $1200 you could make a fortune in this latest business adventure. Business start up and operating expenses should be nothing. You'll make a killing. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote: .

I'm not judging what HVACers are charging here; what I'm saying is that FanHandler could do a lot better by serving BOTH markets (ie. HVAC and intelligent DIYs). Or maybe FH is just selling too many of these already (though not one person I spoke to every even heard of it... )

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman

Reply to
Abby Normal

That would be interesting. I like to see good pictures of hack installs.

They don't sell through Home Cheepo or Slowes because they don't want to deal with the problem of taking Ho Moaner destroyed product back - no questions allowed to be asked. Also, there's a level of liability. If you think of all the problems these people have installing something as simple as a thermostat, imagine the fun that starts when you start talking about a Ho Moaner playing with 240. Heck... how many times do you read "there was this little spark...." when stat installs go bad? The first thing they tell you to do in the install instructions is "shut off the power..." so, where does the little spark they see come from? Good thing it's hard to get hurt from 24 volts.

"Your Honor, the instructions said..... and my client's house burned down when the motor caught fire because....." Never mind what really happened. After all "it can't be that hard to install because anyone can buy it".

Obviously, your motor didn't have an issue with the waveform created by this. Some do, and an HVAC guy either doesn't want to deal with the headaches, and avoids it, or goes into it having told the customer "I might need to replace the blower motor, also".

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

No problem--I'll take pics of the furnace install that the pros did and you can see how the wires are just hanging all over the place, 24v running alongside 115v, practically hang yourself walking into the furnace room...

And at least I used rubber (soft vinyl actually) grommets where my wires go through that sharp steel...

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman