fan vs. air conditioning, what's more energy efficient?

I live in a small (600sq-ft) apartment in a building that's about two years old. The air conditioner is a GE window-style unit that runs off a 240-volt outlet. This time of year I can keep the apartment comfortable if I open the windows and run the unit on fan only for 80%-90% of a day. When I do this, I also run a box fan at 2/3rds speed in another window. The a/c unit has low and high fan speeds, and I usually program it to turn off/on in 15-minute cycles, running at its low speed.
I can also keep the apartment comfortable if I run the unit windows closed with the a/c on. Then the unit runs maybe 30%-40% of the time. When I use a/c I typically set it to 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
The average mean temp. where I live for the month of September is 70 degrees Fahrenheit if that matters.
Which of these methods would be more energy efficient?
Michael Rasmussen wrote:

Why do you think a/c units have to be plugged into a 240-volt outlet?
--
Sue

Eh? Probably because it says 240V on the rating plate.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

LOL, that reminds me of one of my little stints overseas, when we had a bank of batteries and an invertor for running our house and office during the hours other than the 2-4 hours a night when we /might/ get mains power...
Now and again we used to shut the office down an hour or so early so we could have a few minutes of air conditioning instead. Bliss.. only broken by the all-too-soon "beep" of the invertor battery low warning.
--
Sue

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:03:45 GMT, Michael Rasmussen

Turn the fuquerer OFF and it will be most efficient you cheap bastard. If you want A/C, turn it on and stop worrying about the cost. A/C is a luxury. If you're that cheap then turn the damn thing off. "Simple, yet efficient". Bubba
Michael Rasmussen wrote:

If the humidity is not bothering you keep the A/C completely off, including its fan. Box fans will move air a lot more efficiently than the A/C with the little opening to bring in O/S air. - udarrell
(Revised - Solving ESP)
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:03:45 GMT, Michael Rasmussen

Neither one. You need to open all the windows, turn on all the fans and put the air conditioner down to 45 degrees.
This way it keeps all of us cool!
I like that idea....

Michael: you have gotten Ridicules answers but the answers are fitting to your question I hope you realize that Dido

Interesting question but you'll have to figure out the answer. Guesstimate the wattage used by your fans at the settings you use and multiply by the minutes in use. Ditto the A/C. Whichever is lower is cheaper.
Michael Rasmussen wrote:

This looks like a perfect opportunity to try this:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/measure.html sniped from web page>
(3) Look at the electric meter on the side of your house. You can save $40 and use your electric meter to find out how much electricity something's using at a given moment. Unfortunately, this won't tell you how much it's using over a longer term, but hey, this method is free.
First, make sure the device you want to measure is turned off. Also, turn your air conditioner off and unplug your refrigerator; if they kick in while you're making your measurements, that will change the results. Go outside with a stopwatch and measure how many seconds it takes for the disc to spin around one time. Go back inside and turn on the device you want to measure (or plug in the fridge if it's the fridge you want to measure. And if you're measuring the fridge, wait until the compressor kicks in -- i.e., it starts making noise). Don't change anything else at all -- turning even one light on or off will significantly change your results. Go back outside and count how many seconds it takes for the disc to go around once now.

You could unplug the fridge then turn on the ac. Go outside and time the wheel. Go back inside and switch to fans. Time the wheel again.
Michael Rasmussen wrote:

Michael Rasmussen wrote:

If you don't understand what average or mean means you should probably not be thinking about such things. The 'average mean' temperature?????
Any time you can be comfortable using fans it is going to be more efficient than using AC. AC acts as a dehumidifier, which means that still air will evaporate mosture from your body, which cools you. A fan acts to evaporate moisture from your body because it reduces pressure over your skin. In a 600 sf space, AC makes no sense unless the humidity gets really high.
-tg

you cheap bastard. . . . . you dont deserve a/c
Michael Rasmussen wrote:

sounds like you are preparing for an entrance test.you always have coaching classes for such kinds of doubt