fan versus low freon

Page 1 of 2
Living along the hot Gulf Coast we need good AC.The upstairs unit in my 1995 house had to be recharged in 2004 by AC Guy (AG) and a few weeks later the downstairs unit fan wouldn't turn on even when the thermostat batteries were replaced. AG said that the fan was burnt out and replaced it and all was well.A few weeks ago the upstairs fan would go from blowing vigorously to a puny exhaust.I would turn it off and in a few hours on retstart it was as strong as ever for a while and then revert to puny state.AG came out and felt the motor which was hot (17 hours of continuous running) and said I needed a new motor.I had to go out of town so i postponed it...and upon further reflection had my wife turn both units on .The 4 hour rest produced a strong blast from the upstairs unit which is measuring 81-83 in various ducts and the downstairs one is 50-53 in various ducts.AG hadn't measured duct exhasut temp. I suspect that because the lower one doesn't blow cold that it runs too long,overheats and then can't push hard.AG has been contacted,refuses to only rcharge with freon and insists a new motor is needed Thanks for your feedback
Hal
hankus wrote:

If you let it get extremely hot in the conditioned space, ducts in attic NOT properly insulated etc., you will end up with high discharge air temps. (In the low 80's is a bit far out)

Perhaps the A/C Guy picked up (bought) a new motor for it, & does not want wait long to resell it.
Get a different A/C Guy, - get an A/C Tech this time! - udarrell

You're welcome!

Where on the gulf coast???
FWIW, 95% of the calls I get start off with "My air conditioners not working, it needs FREON". Most of the time, lack of refrigerant is not the problem. When the system *is* low on refrigerant, it leaked out somewhere and its a really good idea to get it repaired. It does sound like you need to find a good tech to properly diagnose and correct all of the problems on your systems. At this point, from what you have posted, I don't believe that a bad blower motor is the problem
I've had much the same experience. Remembering one call where the fellow had a 3.5 ton split system. But not cooling. He's thinking if 3.5 isn't doing the job, he needs 5.0 tons. I asked him to let me do the needed repairs, and then he found out the 3.5 did a good job cooling his house. I knew what was needed, but even after I described the problem, he still didn't believe me. I had to actually get the cold air pumping, and then he probably still wasn't sure that I did that all without a shot of that there freezon stuff.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Stormy,
did you do a load calc?
No, I did not.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Bob Pietrangelo wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me. I went on a no-cooling call and after I ran Load Calc, I found the thermostat batteries were low and wouldnt recycle the unit on after a power blip. Thanks to Load Calc, I sold a fresh set of AL Kalines for a tidy sum.
Stormy, I strongly recommend running Load Calc on every service call to maximize sales potiential and profits.
Excellent idea. I'll have to ask about this program at my parts house. I've been needing some kind of heat gain and loss calculator. Thank you.
You any relation to Bob and Carolee Powers? Lived in the Rochester NY area back in the 60s and 70s.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No relation.
On 20 Aug 2006 05:10:39 -0700, "Power's Mechanical"

The newer thermostats take bio-D-cells.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

Good one.

Make your AC guy agree that if he replaces the motor and it doesn't fix the problem he will refund your money in full, including the cost of the motor. Then he can come fix the problem again and you will pay him within 30 days after that, provided the unit is working properly. If he balks at that, find a new AC guy.
hankus wrote:

Most likely cause: system low on refrigerant due to a leak.
Bingo!
--
Zyp
"Travis Jordan" < snipped-for-privacy@no.net> wrote in message

excuses me I am little slow but what air flow got to do with refrigerant how about explain that: Dido

8) Hahahahahahahahaha
When an AC system is running, the expanding freon is trying to absorb some rate of heat. Measured in BTU per hour. If the air flow is low, it will chill the air too cold (and might freeze). If the air flow is too high, it won't make the air cold enough.
Low air flow is more likely to freeze the cold coil. Oddly enough, low freon also creates a lower temperature, and is likely to freeze the coil.
A combination of the two can also freeze a coil. Which further reduces the air flow, and then you rapidly end up with NO air flow.
The original poster some days ago mentioned having reduced air flow, turning off the system, and then the air flow resumed. Which is a good sign of frozen evaporator.
Hope that helps.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.