Fan runs constantly (almost)

Hi, all. I hope you can help me, as I'm at my wit's end (much to your surprise, I'm sure).
Here's the situation: I have a Heil heat pump and a Honeywell RTH7000 programmable thermostat. My problem is that when the heat pump shuts off, the fan continues to run. (I mean the indoor fan that circulates the air. Maybe also called the blower?) It will continue to run until the heat pump comes on again and then shut down with the heat pump. Maybe. Often times the fan just continues to run until I shut it off using the circuit breaker. Rarely, the fan will shut down after the initial heat pump run.
The problem started when I replaced my old thermostat with this one. But according to Honeywell's people, since I can take the thermostat off the wall (thus severing its connection to the house) and the fan continues to run, it's not the thermostat that's causing the fan to run.
I have checked to make sure the fan switch is set to Auto and not to On.
Any suggestions or information would be helpful. If you need more information, please do not hesitate to ask. I'll do whatever I can to tell you more.
Thanks!

    I suggest you call someone to come fix whatever you fucked up with your DIY thermostat.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Either you bought the wrong thermostat, it's defective or you wired it incorrectly.
A correct thermostat will energize the AH fan during all heating or cooling events only. I believe it's G but double check the schematics in the thermostats manual..
If the problem is not constant then it is not likely to be incorrect wiring of your thermostat. Many air handlers (the inside half of your system) will continue to run the fan for a little while after what ever is supplying the heat has stopped running. In your case the outside half of the heat pump. This distributes any residual heat. I would suspect that the controls that do that are not working properly in yours. At this point you probably need to get a service tech to take a look at it.