FAIR PRICE for residential install?

I was quoted this price for residential replacement of central air:

-american standard allegiance 13 air conditioner - 3 ton - 13 SEER

-american standard freedom 90 single stage gas furnace

-honeywell thermostat lifetime warranty on heat exchange, 10 year factory limited warranty on the compressor, condensing coil and evaporator coil. 5 year factory warranty on all other parts. 1 year labor warranty.

$6,340.

am i getting a fair deal?

thank you.

Reply to
thatonedude72

no... you must have misread my question.. "am i getting a fair deal?" quote/unquote.

i'm a new homeowner and have not had experience in HVAC matters, so just a straight answer of it being a fair/competitive price would suffice.

i'm not looking to low-ball or price-shop, i just want to know whether or not it's fair for the market, service and equipment i am getting... so anyone who would be willing to answer that, i'd appreciate it.

thanks.

Reply to
thatonedude72

Unfortunately, no one hear can answer that. It depends on the area and the company you are getting. YES, prices vary that widely. I had a consumer call me from Michigan the other day. He was calling for his daughter who lived in my area. He had an in warranty (3 yrs old) 2 ton compressor changeout quoted to him/her at $800 from another company. I told him without looking Id quote about $1000 over the phone. He was shocked at the prices. He said he just didnt think it would be "that much". It was 95 degrees out at the time. I told him to call around. We shot the shit for a few and he told me that he got a complete split system for about $3500 installed in his home in Michigan. I congratulated him and told him that here that would get him just the air conditioner and pretty much just the entry level stuff. So again, NO, no one can really tell you what the hell is fair or not. Simple solution. Get 2 more bids and you might begin to get a good idea. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Don't know...

Are they doing a "Manual J" load calculation, to properly size the unit? Are they doing a "Manual D" duct calculation, to insure adequite ducting for proper air flow? Are they having a trained and qualified technician set-up the unit, to insure its operating within the manufactures specifications? Do they offer 24 hr service? Have they answered and addressed any and all of your questions? Are they disposing of the old equipment? Did they offer you different equipment configurations, so you could chose the system that saves you money on operational costs? Did they offer you a 10 year parts warranty? (This is becoming standard)

So many questions, so little time...

Reply to
KJPRO

Are they doing a "Manual J" load calculation, to properly size the unit? YES Are they doing a "Manual D" duct calculation, to insure adequite ducting for proper air flow? YES Are they having a trained and qualified technician set-up the unit, to insure its operating within the manufactures specifications? I DO NOT KNOW, BUT WOULD ASSUME SO. Do they offer 24 hr service? NO Have they answered and addressed any and all of your questions? YES Are they disposing of the old equipment? YES Did they offer you different equipment configurations, so you could chose the system that saves you money on operational costs? NO Did they offer you a 10 year parts warranty? (This is becoming standard) NO. 5 years on the compressor, condensing coil and evaporator coil, 10 year on "all other".

hope this information will help with your calculations.

thanks!

Reply to
thatonedude72

CORRECTION:

  • i mistakenly answered this one. the correct answer is 10 years on the compressor, condensing coil and evaporator coil, 5 year on "all other".and 1 year labor.
Reply to
thatonedude72

I don't need to do calculations... Nor will I be doing them for you for free... but,

No 24 hr service. No equipment options. No 10 yr parts warranty.

All equals, No Purchase!

Reply to
KJPRO

Keep shopping, eventually, you'll find somebody to do a top quality install, of top quality equipment, guarantee it forever, reduce your utility bills to nothing, make it so quiet that you won't know it running, and do it all for free.

Reply to
Noon-Air