Exploding refrigerators

Not only UK, but where ever they are found. Aparently, someone decided to use propane as a refrigerant. Which is fine, until it leaks into the compartment, and is ignited by a spark.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Due to its physical properties, Isobutane tends to vaporize rapidly and as it is almost twice as heavy as air, it acumulates at the bottom of the frigerator or the kitchen and can achieve in small confined spaces the required explosive concentration with air. The problem is that you almost can't smell this gas and it would be very wise to aggregate a smelly compound as for instance is routinely done in natural gas (mercaptanes, for instance). This way, a leak can be noticed early enough to avoid an explosion.

However, I read in an earlier post that this type of explosions with isobutane is very rare (about 4 cases in 300,000), which is a number that doesn't sound very alarming to me.

Bolaleman

Propane & Butane were originally used specifically for refrigerants. Matter of fact a couple of the Automotive refrigerant gases are made up of small percentages of propane. It is absolutely inert in those combinations. R414 and R416 are both combinations of gases including propane.

Reply to
Don Ocean

honestly I don't have the clue what type of gas is in my fridge... Next time when I am going to move it during kitchen clean-up I am going to check it - I guess this info can be found at the back of the equipment.

Reply to
Bolaleman

**=AD**********************************************************************= *****=AD******************

You need to put these numbers in comparison to other energy emission sources. Probably compared to other global warming sources, this might be just peanuts... specially as these radiations do not directly contribute to the greenhouse effect like the so-called greenhouse gases.

In one point I agree: if you could reduce these RF micro wave and IR emissions from electric sources (what by the way energy saving lamps or neon-tubes are doing), a lot of energy power plants could be shut- down - and this really would reduce the emission of greenhouse gases, in particular CO2.

------------------------------------------------- Wind Energy Job Board with wind jobs published in 14 countries:

Bolaleman

In one point I agree: if you could reduce these RF micro wave and IR emissions from electric sources (what by the way energy saving lamps or neon-tubes are doing), a lot of energy power plants could be shut- down - and this really would reduce the emission of greenhouse gases, in particular CO2.

-----------------------------------

didya ever stop to think that the increase in CO2 is due to destruction of some of the worlds largest forests, and jungles?? trees and plants turn CO2 into O2.

Reply to
Steve

Trees and plants are only a temporary sink for CO2. Each tree emits the same quantity of CO2 when it dies and rotting as it absorbed during its total lifetime. The increase of CO2 in our atmosphere is basically due to the incineration of fossile fuel like oil and coal. There are other effects playing a rule like the increase of sea water temperature and the resulting decrease in CO2 adsorption in the water, reduction of other CO2 sinks like forests (as you mention) or the increased evaporation of CO2 hydrates from the oceans (these are deposits of "frozen" CO2 in deep water layers which slowing are evaporating due to the increase in water temperature) - just to mention some of the most important ones.

Reply to
Bolaleman

That's what I read in several publications and what I find it quite conclusive. The true story is probably much more complex and we will know it in about 20 to 30 years.

Reply to
Bolaleman

Actually its old news.

Reply to