Exhaust Odor

I have been having problems for the last 2 years with a burned exhaust odor from the heat ducts when the furnace is running. It is more noticable if I shut the furnace down before it reaches the temperature that the thermostat was set for. I have had numerous technicians come and check the furnace out, but they all say it is OK. I even replaced the exhaust pipe to the roof, as well as the fuel lines just to make sure they were not the cause of the problem. My furnace is a Miller Kerosene furnace set up for 100,000 BTU's. It supposedly can be set up for either 80,000 or 100,000. I'm wondering if 100,000 is too much for the house, the old furnace was 100,000 but was also 20 years old and not as efficient. Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated.

your furnace is probably over-fired and consequentially the hx has been breached. time for a new furnace, installed by a competent installer who has performed a load calc to precisely determine what size of furnace is req'd.

When was last time you have smoke stock clean have you in any way block air make up to the area where furnace is located Dido

Dildo, please explain to rest of us how a dirty "smoke stock" will create odours in the hot air plenum...... I assume it is just as complicated as your advice about closing the return air on the second floor in order to cool it!
--
Respectfully, Bob

TO A MECHANIC IT is NOT NEEDED BE EXPLAIN Dido
wrote i

The smoke stack was replaced just last year, and the air intake is clear. One of the technicians said that it's possible that it isn't getting enough air, but it is the same make and model of furnace that was in the house when we bought it, and we never had problems with it before.
YOU SHOULD BUY OR BARROW A CO2 ANALYSER FROM SOMEONE CO2 IS THE BEST WAY TO DETECT INTERMINTANT LEAKS IN A HX WHEN YOU NOTICE THE SMELL COMAIR THE LEVELS WITH A LOG OF LEVELS AT NORMAL CO2 SHOULD NEVER BE HIGH THEN 1000PPM ABOVE OUT DOOR AMBIENT IF YOU SEE A RISE THEN YOU HAVE A LEAK THE HX NEED REPLACED IF NO RISE THEN YOU MAY HAVE BECOME HYPERSENSITIVE TO THE CUBUSTION OR FUEL VAPORS SMALL AMOUNTS CAN CAUSE BIG PROBLEMS IF OTHERS IN THE HOME DO NOT NOTICE IT THEN THIS COULD BE THE ISSUE IF NOT YOU MAY BE GETING PUFF BACK THREW THE RETURN THIS ALSO COULD BE THE CASE YOU ALSO COULD BE DEPRESSURISING THE COMBUSTION AREA MAKE SURE RETURNS ARE SEALED I WOULD HAVE A CIE TECH COME IN AND DO AN IAQ AUDIT OR REPLACE THE SYSTEM DONT PLAY AROUND WITH THIS SMALL LEAKS ARE SOMETIMES A BIGGER DANGER THEN LARGER THEY CAUSE CRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS THAT GO ON FOR LIFE NEVER DIAGNOSTED

I AM NOT TRYING TO BE A MEANIE TO YOU BUT FOR SIX TIMES I HAVE TRIED TO READ YOUR POST BUT HALF WAY THROUGH I FEEL LIKE I WAS DRINKING ELECTRIC WINE AGAIN AND HAVE TO START OVER AND OVER. WHO EVER SHOWED YOU HOW TO TYPE WAS BEING VERY MEAN TO YOU.
-ZERO
err... -zero

You mean CO, don't you? CO2 is what you breathe out. It's also what causes the bubbles in pop and beer. Once again, Dildo shows his stuff!
--
Respectfully, Bob

I have 2 CO detectors, one with a digital readout, and they have not once gone off. I don't smell the odor, my wife does, so it's hard for me to describe it. She tells me that it's more of a Kerosene odor than it is an exhaust odor, could it be the furnace is burning too rich? I have the numbers that were generated by the last smoke test, if that would help anyone with a diagnosis.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Old CO detectors wont detect anything. See how old they are. Early ones lasted 3 yrs. Newer ones last 5. Your wife isnt smelling CO. Its odorless. Maybe she is just silently farting. Bubba "Lick a window"

Bubba posted for all of us...

Maybe it IS CO! And I don't mean carbon monoxide... if ya catch the drift...
--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."