Evaporator coil restrictions

somebody please help me. My ac is not cooling. it blows and blows but no cold air. I finally called someone out. first he said that it was just low on refridgerant. Then he says that i need to replace the entire evaporator because the refrigerant is going in but not comeing out with enough pressure. His opinion was that there was a clog within the coils. Someone gave me the idea that one could unhook the evaporator from the system and hook up an air compressor to it and litterally blow out any clog within them. is this a possibilty and if so how advisable is that.

any ideas please!! it's up to 104 outside today!

Reply to
Tony

Dear Tony, I have a lot of compassion for you. 104 sounds a lot too hot. But, at the moment we really don't have enough information. What comes to mind, is that you should call at least one other service company. The last service guy didn't leave me with a good feeling about his professional skills.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would use a pressure washer and Tide in a syringe or Drano. As for you,..........fill a baby pool and hop in. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Ok so your blower is running...what makes you think the condenser is?

What did he base this on?

So, did he tell you where this refrigerant was going? Your evaporator has two ports...what goes in one port must come out the other in one form or another...if it doesn't either you have a leak and it finds another way out or it magically jumps back into your compressor without actually going through the return line...or your tech is full of crap.

WTF? Dunno about you but most people don't have brazing tools in their garage or the equipment to extract/vaccuum and refill and HVAC system. And if you had all those tools I doubt you would be here with these questions.

Get another guy to come out there and tell you what is going on.

Reply to
STravis

Ya dont get in many attics...obviously.

104 aint jack....wait till you get on a roof and your boots start to stick....150+...

WTF do YOU know about skills period? You could not answer the most basic question posed to you about a fan motor, but you went ALL around the problem and kept blaming the thermostat when the post told you that the thermostat WAS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Call Chris Young, at least you will get a nice new Hunter thermostat, no air, but a nice new Hunter thermostat...

Reply to
aka-SBM

Ok so your blower is running...what makes you think the condenser is? CY: I guess I neglected to ask if there was air coming out the vents indoors in the house. Good question, to ask if the outdoor unit had fan and compressor running.

What did he base this on? CY: I'd also wondered that. Sounds like the answer to every no cooling call. Add some of that freezon stuff, and it'll come back.

So, did he tell you where this refrigerant was going? Your evaporator has two ports...what goes in one port must come out the other in one form or another...if it doesn't either you have a leak and it finds another way out or it magically jumps back into your compressor without actually going through the return line...or your tech is full of crap. CY: Given that it's a closed loop, I'll go with the "full of crap" angle.

WTF? Dunno about you but most people don't have brazing tools in their garage or the equipment to extract/vaccuum and refill and HVAC system. And if you had all those tools I doubt you would be here with these questions. CY: He may be thinking about a vehicle heater core. In any case, I wonder if "blowing out" will do any good on this call.

Get another guy to come out there and tell you what is going on. CY: I think we got to the same conclusion. A very good bottom line.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmm, I came into this forum to look and see what kind of advice other A/C tech's where throwing around and how they looked at peoples problems by what symptoms they describe. Instead I find a Wack of Flamming, harrasment and sarcasm. Where is the help for this poor fellow? The best advice I've seen on this particular post is "Call another company, I have a bad feeling about this guys qualifications." Bravo. Number 1, if there where a restriction in a cap tube or three, it would be pretty dam obviouse to anyone who cut an access hatch and observed the evap in action. I understand a very minimal description was given about the whole "Problem" and what was said by the Tech that looked at it, but in my opinion the average home owner would not have entirly understood what the tech was talking about in the first place. The tech may have checked this out and the homeowner forgot to mention it. The homeowner might be so cheap that he won't believe the tech, and the tech could be absolutely right and a new evap is in order here. Or the Tech could be an idiot? Anything is possible.

What I don't understand is why the flamming? Maybe a quick run through of what happens when a cap tube, or Piston get clogged? High condensing preasures with very low suction? Iced up Evap? Maybe mention that cap tubes can't necisicarily be cleared of obstructions due to such small diamaters. That replacement is better and cheaper than trying to fix an evap. There cheap......

Maybe I'm missing something and someone in here really is an idiot and keeps misleading people. Im not trying to flame on anyone, just wondered why all the hostility?

Reply to
Ray T

Someone grab the popcorn, this is going to be fun!

Reply to
Al Moran

I wish SM would get the pork chop smell off his leg so you would quit humping it.

Reply to
ftwhd

aka-SBM posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Correction, USED Hunter thermostat; at new price and busted jamb; and Pinto parts in your front yard.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I bet he will soon as you get the one from around your neck gone....

Reply to
aka-SBM