Evap Coils not all sweating

Page 2 of 2

What a load of crap.

Difficult to comprehend having your self anointed MD status challenged, yes snookums :-/
        ICE

If you'd do everything you suggested to the OP when you went on a call like that, then you probably don't own a set of gauges. First thing I'd do is check superheat and subcool, cause odds would be in favor of the thing being low on refrigerant. Regardless of that, your conclusions and methods were just plain incorrect. You're not only a troll, by your own admission, but you're giving out incorrect advice and that can be more than an irritation to any homeowner who accidentally takes it seriously. Hvac systems can be deadly to the untrained.

Stormin - over there in the corner - will be smiling and thinking "oh doody, me got a fwend". You are the one attempting to troll, and poorly I would add.
All of my post was built for the Home Owner as a generic process to carry out prior to making a call __IF the call is needed__. You, like many Hacks, have a problem with that (advice). I find no fault in that, merely laugh at your insecurity. Making the statement "your conclusions and methods were just plain incorrect" just does not cut it, Pal. You will have to put your finger on exactly that which you believe is "incorrect advice". anything else is just Bluster and Bullshit, of which there is Plenty in this NG.
FYI - there was a time when I myself was well able to use the six senses and a clamp/tong meter to sort _any_ problem in the vapor compression cycle for units under 20ton. For systems beyond that a sling physchrometer and maybe an anemometer could be added for distribution diagnostics. It is known as "non invasive diagnostics". Practiced adeptly there is no problem achieving a positive result for the client. You have yet to get to that level of competence, I see :-] You hang as much "crap"[sic] on my advice as you like, you will not change the Facts nor the results for those who _choose_ to use it.
As an observation. Thank pHuck you (and those like you who claim MD status) are _not_ a practising clinician, otherwise we would _all_ be wearing Nappies from the overly enthusiastic reaming of the ass in investigating _why_ we had a headache.
And please do fix that POS you are using to post with. Not only is it borking the thread, it is also attributing statements to my posting I did not make. I have fixed it this time, do it again and I _will_ kick your butt.                             0K :->
    ICE

We'll take it line by line then.

How many fans (I note you said "all") do you suppose the unit has? How do you suppose the homeowner is going to check for correct speed? How do you suppose the speed of the fans might relate to a starved evaporator coil? Your statment was so immaterial to the problem that it doesn't deserve further discussion. Unless the condenser fan motor simply wasn't running, fan speed isn't a concern in this case.

Also immaterial based upon the observed symptoms. A reduction in indoor air volume would tend to cause oversaturation of a coil that has fixed metering, and no major change to superheat in a TXV system, although the outlet of the coil would experience a drop in temperature, and thus presumable a greater tendency to condense moisture. Another strawman, but let's continue to explore your idiocy.

Same as above.

Why change the blower speed? If it was adjusted correctly at start-up, then changing it will adversely affect performance, and alter what would otherwise be normal readings for the system.

Differential readings don't require calibration of the thermometer readings. Unneccesary corrections are a waste of the homeowners time.

Have any citations to support that sentiment? ASHRAE, white papers, manufacture's data, etc.?

The only rule of thumb is that most people have two of them. deltaT can vary wildly depending upon indoor and outdoor conditions, and especially upon the design of the system itself.

If the system has fixed metering, and is a little low on refrigerant, then blocking indoor air flow will serve only to reduce superheat and saturated temp, i.e. actually cause even sweating, which is quite the opposite of your claim. Bristol actaully recommends checking superheat under that condition (blower motor disabled), but given the low saturated temp that this causes, the outlet of the evap will be below freezing, and thus presumably below dewpoint, even with 5-15 deg superheat. I'll let you calculate how high the superheat must be under this condition before the outlet ceases to be below dewpoint. If you don't derive a substantial refrigeration problem, then I think enough has been said.

To clear it of what? What the hell are you blocking the flow for anyway, when you can just disable the blower motor?

Always a good idea, for a tech who knows what he's doing, but the average homeowner usually doesn't even know that a dirty condenser is a problem. And why should they look for oil stains, are they going to repair the leak themselves? If it's leaking, they'll know something is wrong soon enough. Let the tech do the leak searching.

Something obvious, same advice.
Do

The more info the better. I let the customer tell me everthing and anything that they've noticed. Always a good practice. MD's even insist upon it with their patients.

The readings you suggested won't mean a thing to the homeowner, in fact they won't mean much to even the experienced tech unless the readings are way out of range.

I think you've proven how much of a professional you are. The question is "professional what"?

I'm glad you're enjoying offering bogus advice.

snip
at just what help one can generate for oneself, given the motivation and a _little_ direction. I say "you would be amazed" as obviously you have never had to help yourself. When the day comes you will remember this thread... and wish.

to place a DD. With an amount down as Good Faith we can then continue with lessons on a contract or piecework, your choice. I may be retired but I will not work for free. IF you are one of those who think the aged should willingly grant whippersnappers the benefit of their accumulated knowledge (in detail) then think again. You do the yards the same way I had to, Young Fella.

some :-D
snip

for the apprentices. Does not wash here and impresses nobody, that Truth is very obvious. All of my original response was generic advice, as a process. Grant the OP and other readers enough Brain Space to adapt what fits to their own specific purpose.
snip

Hint. Has nothing to do with building clones of your Mom.
snip

snip
between what he feels and what he reads. DeltaT cannot be calculated when the readings are not the readings at the point of testing. The whole process (self help) relies on persons being astute in that which they <see-hear-feel>. Alcohol thermometers are renown for their inaccuracy. Calibrated Hg would not be justified as a cost, in this case.
Again to the OP. Calibrate whatever you buy.
snip

them. You will not get me doing your work. Least, not until you get a DD up.
snip

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys136d/modules/m3/secondlaw.htm
snip
for the apprentices. Does not wash here and impresses nobody, that Truth is very obvious.
snip

You wish for the OP to now start disconnecting wiring/drives or whatever on your say so. Have you that medic ticket/licence at the ready?
snip

grey area. See you can help, if forced :-D.

someone with self-help skills has.
SH'r: "Hellooo, Acme Hacks" AH: "Yus Sir" SH'r: " My <insert Make/model here> has a huge oil stain on the pan and around this pipe that has maybe 30 other small pipes coming from it, you think gas could get out from there?" AH: "Why certainly, Sir" SH'r:: "How much to fix something like that?" AH: "$1200, Sir" SH'r:: "Thank you"     click...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
snip

    /looking around for crackers
Struth, you are plain out of Luck. Starve :-p
snip

Buddies here going to get it through your thick skulls that split HVAC is _not _ Rocket Science. In fact the whole of VC as a working medium is far from overly technical in the bigger scope of technical engineering disciplines. Medicos are a different kettle of fish to the guy who fronts your door waving his "gauges" at you. Just for starters it is a very sure bet the guy has had no more diagnostic training than what he has managed to develop himself, depending on his exposure. Reading this NG I would offer it is a fair bet that training amounts to Zilch. Therefore I stay with what I originally offered. The OP can decide for themselves, if need be.. or circumstance change.
snip

County. A high degree of self important arrogance, perhaps?
        snip the sophomoric histrionics
It is noted you are still having trouble with that POS you use. There is a brand (as in branding steers) given to Google Gropers. Your posting is living testament to the worthiness of such disdain. I do put up with the garbage as I know you know no better. It is very obvious you have even less a grip on NNTP matters than you do about the field you wish to debate (HVAC). Prep school is over. Graduate to something that works or take your sad and sorry ass away from this thread. Again, I fixed your post - no more.
    ICE
--
The Three Laws of Thermodynamics

1.You can\'t win.

So you want to discuss physics now. Let's have a go at it. Explain the significance of Noether's Theorem, and how it applies to the above three laws. No copying and pasting please.
    [..]

arrives. You might just risk having yet another ring reamed out, theoretically.
    ICE
--
"I didn\'t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I
approved of it." -- Mark Twain

    ^^_Another? When was the first time? I didn't address the     ^^_points in your previous reply simply because my first     ^^_reply to it still stands. Your advice was totally ^^_meaningless to homeowners, and most of it was ^^_just plain wrong.
Idiot Alert.
        /0ff

My last post.... I find it it very interesting there seem to be so many frustrated people adding to this forum. Why are you even answering at all? If you are so fed up with answering what you think are stupid questions, don't answer. One day you will need someone elses advice, auto mechanic, Lawyer, Dr. I don't care. I only hope they respond to you in the same professional and curteous manner.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Ben wrote:

similar Summer Design to SW WI? Is the upstairs level 4,000 to 8,000-sq.ft., how high are the ceilings in the rooms? Was a Manual J performed to indicate the heat-gain? http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditioning-contractors-seer-eer-sensible-latent-heat.html
- udarrell