Entering the HVAC field

I have a close friend whose son has gotten a Pell grant to train for HVAC work, he had been considering working towards Aircraft Mechanics.
My friend was concerned about this change of field (because of the lack of new construction). I felt that there was enough work otherwise and it was a smart choice.
So, in a major metropolitan area, are there opportunities for someone fresh out of school or is this saturated?

If I were he, I'd consider the Aircraft and Powerpowerplant FAA rating.. for a number of reasons. 1) just look at the riffraff that inhabit this news group? Would you recomend that your freind's son hang out with this bunch of low-life, malcontents? 2) Any yokel with a set of refrigeration gages and a shingle (and an EPA refrigerant handlers permit.. which is about as hard to get as the prize in a crackerjack box!) is your "competition". 3) if you charge X for a service, Home Depot is going to chage x-$10.00 for the same service.
At least with an A&P your competition isn't completely witless.
Most people (not all) who own airplanes, pay their bills.
Very few pilots want to contemplate the value of saving a few bucks while cruising along in the middle of the Atlantic.
Most of the time, you have a nice dry hanger to work in, with clean parts, and all the specilized tools you need to get the job done.
By now you should have somewhat of a prespective of the kind of people in the HVAC field. A better choice is to get into the medical field, law enforcement, or forensic medicine and leave HVAC to the people with the kind of mentality you see here unless you want to be out in the cold attempting to repair a heating system to make others comfortable or out in the hot sun attempting to repair an A/C system to make others comfortable, people who will be earning more than you and having little time to enjoy those environments for yourself.

our job is to work in the cold or the heat so our customers don't have to.
On 11/5/2011 6:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@rhosos.net wrote:

Kudos.... Love the way you have kept our elite club elite. We certainly do not want to share our very special money making abilities with just any Tom, Harry and Dickhead like you. We do need more Doctors though. They generally make enough to afford our very special services.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:26:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rhosos.net wrote:

    No, we've still got you and your family.

    Yeh - the nice 38 degree autopsy room full of dead people. Nice.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 18:37:46 -0500, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Sooner or later Paul, sooner or later.