Emerson/White Rodgers "Cool Savings" feature, help to understand..

I have an Emerson thermostat that claims to have a feature called cool savings...

I tried to Google this feature and Emerson says its designed to adjust the programmed set point temperature during high demand use of a central air conditioner. I think they mean that the thermostat will call on the variable speed fan/ECM fan will blow faster to similate cooler air, without the compressor running all the time, but that's just my guess

I can't really get any more information other than that.

IU've only had this blower unit/furnace and thermostat for 4 months so no history with it. Today was first day using the aircond (A coil and compressor unit are 14 years old,)

Anyone care to explain what this feature is and how it works? Emerson "Cool Savings"

Reply to
The Henchman

Sorry I cannot help as I have never seen this thermostat or heard of it previously.

I would be very interested in seeing just how it does this.

There are various ways of saving power, one is to cycle the fan with the compressor, another is to raise the set point of the thermostat when the outdoor temperature gets very high to lessen the big difference between the indoor and out door temperature so you do not get hit with a chilled temperature when entering from a very hot outdoor temperature. On installations I have seen with the later they had an outdoor sensor to set up internal thermostat.

In most cases on homes that would not be much help as the size of the air conditioning unit would not allow the indoor temperature to be so different to the outdoor temperature.

Here the design outdoor temperature is 90 f and most people would have an indoor design of 75 f, IE a 15 degree difference between inside and outside, so all things being equal if the outdoor temperature rises to 93 then the indoor temperature would also get to 78.

This is of course in theory, in fact if the outdoor temperature gets above the design there are factors that my not get the indoor temperature above the design, IE how long it takes the extra heat to get though the walls and ceilings, and how long the outdoor temperature is above the design temperature.

Commercially

On things like shopping centres that use a lot of power I know that they will reduce the capacity of the compressor by raising the chilled water temperature if the whole buildings power become too great This is mainly done with centrifugal or screw chillers, not house units.

They do this because in some cases their electricity charges are controlled by a maximum demand meter and if they exceed the maximum demand then the pay more for all the power for the whole billing period, hence they control the power usage by raising the chilled water temperature to lower the power usage.

All of these methods have their pros and cons.

Reply to
<ramrod

Remember one thing that companies make thermostat to work with many different units or Manufactures equipment, so what I am trying to say even so you may have those commands on your Tst. that does not mean that your unit have those capabilities similar as dance it takes two to tango.

Reply to
grumpy