Emergency! Please Help!

I recently bought a LUX 605/2110 Series Programmable Heat Pump Thermostat to replace my old thermostat. My problem is that when I try to match the wires I have to the new terminals, the designations don't all match. I think I have most of them correct. When I set it to cool it seems to work correctly but when I set it to heat it doesn't seem to turn on the heat. Also when I turned on the heat the one time the thermostat smelled like something was burning, which makes me worried that I have some wires set up wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yellow pages or learn to read instructions.

Troll.
<sigh> Call you local *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to diagnose all of the problems (including the one that caused you to mistakenly replace the thermostat), and correct them.

On 31 Mar 2005 21:31:59 -0800, "ekrishner"

you probably got a bad Lux. Take it back and get a new one. Keep trying to match the wiring until you get it right. Everytime the smoke leaks out, take it back and get a new one.
Do you have an old Lennox furnace? The old model had different designation of the one that are currently used.... I can find it for you if it is the case.

Now you've done it!
You're gonna need a new air handler and heat pump. Cost: $8342.00 We can do it next week.
The editor wants to use it for the June issue.
You may wish to open the yellow pages, and find a heating contractor who is familiar with heat pumps. Just an idea.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus