Electric heaters are becoming natural choice!

CNMOnline, a well reputed online store selling electrical appliances, says that electric heating is going to more natural choice for heating. Electric heaters offer many benefits over conventional heaters. They not only make your life easy and comfortable but also help improve quality or environment.
Though electric heaters were always preferred over gas or oil heating systems, they were even more in demand with increasing requirement for technology for low carbon heating. In its efforts to meet its ‘green’ targets, the UK government has made it clear that electric heating and use of decarbonized grid should be preferred over other means of heating.
Electric heaters are highly efficient as there is no wastage of fuel and carbon emission is at reduced levels. They can be installed easily unlike gas heaters and can be taken anywhere according to requirements. Moreover, Electric heaters can be controlled from one central point and offer flexibility and energy efficiency. Moreover, you can reduce energy usage by using them on room-to-room basis.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I don't know where you are. But, where I are, electric heat is far more expensive than gas or oil or propane.
Is a centralized power plant more efficient? My furnace is 90% plus percent efficiency. How about your power plants? Do they vent through PVC pipe, and do they condense the warer out of the fumes?
I see you're in UK. I'm in the "Good ol' US of A". Good day!
[...]

Yep, electric resistance heat never wins, 1 therm of natural gas into a 95% condensing furnace•KBTU into your house, 1 therm into a natural gas power plant=maybe 35KBTU into your home. Even if you have hydroelectric power, I would still prefer to use a heat pump if it must be electric. You can get a window shaker A/C and heat pump (has a reversing valve) with electric resistance backup heat strips for not much more than an overpriced POS "infrared" cube heater or fake "Amish" fireplace would cost.
Add pictures here
βœ–

No. On a cold winter month in my little house. If my old oil furnace ran 8 hours out of 24. I would be using 6 gallons per day . $21 dollars per day. $ 600 per month. If I ran constant 7kw it would cost $20 per day. I based this on 80kbtu furnace. Electricity $.12 hour kwh . In reality I would likely use less electricity because it's localized heaters.
My brother uses electric because it's cheaper for him.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–

I got the best of both worlds.... dual fuel.... 4 ton heat pump with a 2 stage 75,000btu nat gas furnace. In these parts, I set the balance point to 35F. Even when its cold as hell, my gas and electric bills combined don't exceed $170
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmm, ~800k BTU of oil vs. ~573k BTU of electric, meaning to be even the oil furnace would be about ~72% efficient. Interesting. I now appreciate my 90+ condensing natural gas furnace even more.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Daniel who wants to know wrote:

And thanks to all the suckers that spent $5k on new condensing furnaces over the past 10 years and helped drive natural gas prices through the floor, I now appreciate my 35-year-old 75% efficient, low-maintenance / low-cost-to-repair natural gas furnace even more.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mine still going strong after 50 years in service and all the maintenance on it was done by me. unit is 185k btuh one unit for two family home
Add pictures here
βœ–

I spent $ 5k 5 years ago for a 70kbtu 3.5 ton air, gas line to the street, water heater 95% furnace.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
gregz wrote:

Thankyou for doing that.
Because you and countless other people who have a blown fanbelt and are told that you need a new furnace (and AC for good measure), you people have helped to drive down the price of natural gas in north america.
And because you have driven down the price of nat-gas, I can keep running my 36-year-old furnace (original furnace in the house I bought 12 years ago) and not feel too bad about the extra $100 a year I'm paying for natural gas vs paying $5k for a new furnace and never seeing the return on that outlay in my lifetime.
The AC unit I have was probably 5 to 10 years old when I bought the house, which makes it 17 to 20 years old, and it still works fine and I ain't touching it.
The original gas water heater started to leak 5 years ago, so I went to home despot and bought a replacement for about $300 and installed it myself.
So in 12 years I spent $300, and in 5 years you spent $5k.
Add pictures here
βœ–
This is a rare moment when someone is polite, on Alternating Havoc.
Anyhow, I'm pleased that my decisions made your life easier, buddy.

[...]

Thanx for not supporting your local economy, and helping to keep small businesses open. The economy is already bad enough and getting worse with your help. thanx for making it that much worse for 20 - 30 more people that in one form or fashion work for or are directly affected by your local small businesses.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve wrote:

I don't buy that, because HVAC contractors must be making a killing replacing all the ac units being stolen for their copper content.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Tell me where this is.... because its sure not around these parts.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Might have spent $5 k in oil.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–

I didn't buy it, it came with the house, and thus far the only repair it has needed is a cleanout of a plugged condensate drain trap.
It is a furnace that doesn't even officially exist anymore, a Quatro True Blue 90 made by Consolidated Industries, now a part of Texas Furnace Company.
Add pictures here
βœ–
vvs jon wrote:

What a load of horse shit.
Have you seen the price of natural gas lately?
Add pictures here
βœ–