efficiency of portable split systems?

The "portable" air conditioners which have a hot air duct going out a window are generally denigrated as inefficient. I realise that you have everything inside, generating waste heat. Probably okay for reverse-cycle heating instead. Now Delonghi have a portable split system, with the condensor sitting outside, so you just have a cable and two hoses to pass through a window instead. They claimed 4400 W cooling for 1200 W input. I found one of the all-in-one cheapo portables with 4400 W cooling, and it needs 1600 W input. I would think thought that the Delonghi still has compressor in indoors unit, so is still spews out unwanted heat.

Background: I found some cheap short-term office space (probably cheap due to poor aircon in building). Even if I spent a few thou on portables and $100 a week on cooling, I would be ahead, and then can take the portable systems with me to other premises.

Reply to
116e32s

The related efficiency killer here is that most of these units just have the single "hot air dumping" hose. These require "make up air" from.. inside the room that you're trying to cool down. Meaning that you're brining more hot air into that room...

- There are some models that use two air hoses to the outside, so the makeup air just comes directly to the unit and then gets exhausted. Big improvement in efficiency and usually worth the small cost increas.

Reply to
danny burstein

What model are you talking about? I think that one was only sold in Europe. The compact outdoor unit could be sat on the window ledge or flower box of those old apartments. Delonghi have other split portables with the compressor in the outdoor unit for reasons of quietness. Unfortunately, they are cumbersome and moreover not weatherproof, so you need a shelter as well. Then it is borderline to classify it as portable.

Reply to
pedro1492

good choice, as they do not need the inside air to condens, just take care of the hoses.

Reply to
polleke