efficiency

I have a heat pump installed in my Virginia (Norfolk) house with a gas pack... there is a variable setting for when to run the gas for heat (colder weather) or when to run the heat pump for heat (milder weather)... what temp should this be set at to be most efficient?

Nobody here can tell you without a lot of data... that data includes... Electrical cost per KW Fuel cost per CF or gallon. Homes requirements compared to HP's capacity, BP (balance point) COP (co-efficiency of preformance) of the HP at various OAT (outdoor ambient temp)
Normally for my area, that equals the lowest possible setting where the HP can still maintain the indoor temp.

Paul
Start at 32dF, if it keeps the house warm step it down a couple. If that works step down a couple more, Repeat... If it doesn't work step up... In our area 26dF is recommended, but with a proper setup & a fossil fuel kit many are running them down below 15dF HP doesn't cover the full load, but it stretches the HP output to minimize the gas consumption.
goodluck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.