Duct code

What is the code for the distance between a smoke detector and a return from a forced hot air system?

Reply to
Glenn

NFPA 72 does not really differentiate between supply diiffusers and return grilles or heat ing and cooling.

They want a three foot clearance.

The ma> What is the code for the distance between a smoke detector and a return

Reply to
Abby Normal

typically smoke detectors are installed in supply air plenums as close to the ac unit as possible, and in some cases in the return air compartment on package units. Some situations require SD's in both supply and return air plenums, for instance sometimes the fans are ran

24/7. typically sd's are not required on systems of 2000 cfm or less.
Reply to
gofish

Those are duct mounted smoke detectors, designed to shut a unit down when they begin to recirculate smoke. Some jurisdictions will want them on fan coils under 2000 CFM if the fan coil serves an exit corridor.

I assumed the original poster was refering to ceiling mounted devices montoring the space.

Reply to
Abby Normal
24" to 48"...which puts it in the 36" range

Reply to
daytona°
5=2E7.4.1 of the 2002 NFPA 72 says 3 foot minimum. In the accompanying hand book, they go on about the return grille 'diluting' the smoke. I doubt a return has much influence at that far away. If anything I would guess the smoke would migrate towards a return, get sucked in hence the requirement of the duct mounted detectors.

dayt> 24" to 48"...which puts it in the 36" range

Reply to
Abby Normal

In Ohio that is true unless the chase is serving more than one unit and the chase experiences a combined total of 2000 CFM's or more.

Reply to
geoman