Downsize nozzle?

This may have been beat to death, but I have a "burning" question....

I have a Utica SFH3100WT boiler, equipped with a .85 80B nozzle, and it's time for annual cleaning.

What are the upsides/downsides of downsizing the nozzle? So far in January, the boiler runs between 4 and 9 hours a day -average about 6

1/2. Fuel is over $3.00 per gallon...... Hot water is OK - but coil is probably restricted, and leads to hot/cool cycles in the shower. Replace coil $$, or boiler $$$$?

Stat set at 68 deg F.

Would appreciate comments / advice before I talk with my burner guy, who works for my fuel supplier.......

Thanks!

Grov

Reply to
Grover

My question is:

Why are you wanting to downsize the nozzle? To save oil? Look at it this way:

(and this is not "exact science")

You downsize the nozzle, you're going to get less heat (BTUs). That means it will have to run longer to achieve the setting you want. True, you'll be burning less GPH, but you're not really saving any oil since it has to run longer. I know that is confusing sounding, but you see what I mean?

Now, some boilers are designed to use several different size nozzles. The Utica you are speaking of (I'm pretty sure) does not. So as others have mentioned, it's not not going to burn properly and you are going to end up with a mess. If the unit is undersized, have a bigger one installed. If it's just the coil that's stopped up, get another coil. Better yet, get a new one off eBay and then you can TRY to get someone to install it for you:

Dr. Hardcrab