"Do not oil" electric motors?

I installed a new Emerson condenser blower motor in my home AC's outside unit in 2001. I tried to start it up for the first time today since last fall, and it was a little sluggish at first instant, but now is okay, apparently.
I am almost positive that it stated "do not oil" on the motor casing when I installed it, but I guess I could be wrong, although I doubt it. Trouble is, it was such a pain to get into harness when I bought it that I am reluctant to take it out, just to verify the "do not oil" part. Ya think I should take it out anyway and try a few drops of machine oil for good measure, or do some motors specifically not ever need oil? Thanks for any good input.
-- Otis

Not sure about your specifics but I've had motors with either oil holes on one or both ends - sometimes covered with caps. If it doesn't have a specific place to oil I would forget about it.
On 24 Mar 2007 13:55:47 -0700, rev_otis snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You should clean the motor every 4 months and oil it every other month to keep it "squeak free" for many years to come. The extra torque in todays motors require a synthetic oil just to keep them from overheating after 1 hr of continuous running. Dont use machine oil. Use a good quality 3W24 SAE detergent oil. Apply 2.14oz to each bearing every other month. After 1 yr you can lower it to 1.73oz every other month. Each year after you can lower it by .48 oz per year until you need to oil it no longer. Vacuum it with a dirt devil type sweeper every 4 months to keep the dust out of the bearings. This should make your motor last 10 yrs or longer. Bubba

http://www.gotoemerson.com/jsp/brands/cli_tech/index.jsp
Bubba wrote:

Bubba,
    Your thermostat is bad, why don't you change it rather than mislead people who are trying to avoid crooks like you????

Im sorry, I didnt know someone appointed you my mother. You do have your minion card, dont you? You cant quite make your way around in here without it. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Hmmm, WHOA!
Tony Hwang wrote:

Don't bother with Tony Hunglows posts they contain nothing of value.
Mine has Zerk fittings. I just pump em full of axle grease every weekend when I don't have anything else to do. Which makes about 26 weekends a year.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On 24 Mar 2007 13:55:47 -0700, rev_otis snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not all motors are the same, I'm sure, but I haven't oiled my AC motor in 28 years. I don't use the AC much, but the time is the same.
I also read the owners manual and I'm sure it didn't say it needed oiling.
As I said 2 threads ago, I keep spare parts for the AC (these are from my 3-door away neighbor (we all started with the same AC) and even though I was sure, I just checked the motor. It has no place for oiling. It's a GE motor for a Carrier AC, fwiw.

FTR, you could also go look at a new one, in the box, whereever you bought yours.

It's only been giving you possible trouble for 5 to 15 seconds? And now it's spinngin fine? Don't worry about it until it doesn't spin right 30 seconds after starting.

Yes. They use what are called oil-impregnated bearings. They are fairly dry when nothing is turning, but when you start the motor, something (heat?) makes the oil come out of the bearing. When you stop the motor, the oil soaks back in.

Permanently lubricated inside of seals, until it fails. You can't get oil where it would do any good, and it wouldn't last if you did.
If it is sticky getting started, replace it. Otherwise it will fail to start and overheat your compressor, and then let's hope you have fail-safes on the compressor so it isn't destroyed.