Do modern HVAC coils still use lead solder?

Howdy,

I was thinking of changing an old heat pump into a chiller by immersing the evaporator coil in a water bath, and then pumping the water through another coil. Don't want to do it if there is a possibility of lead contamination though.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
shrike

If you have money to throw away why not you can do many different things That is what some of us keep working more you fuckup better for us.

Reply to
Grumpy

Depending on the manufacturer, they either use 15% Silphos, or 45% silver

Why pray tell are you trying to turn an air source HP into a hydronic system??

Reply to
Steve

If you could find a surplus flat plate heat exchanger, your experiment may be much more successful. Perhaps an online auction may have some removed from equipment because the things can be expensive. The HVAC supply houses in my area sell them too.

You might also look for a heat exchanger from an old water cooled ice machine or refrigeration unit that could be sitting in a salvage yard.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hmmm, Maybe moonshine.