DIY Install of new oil burning furnace?

I have recently purchased a home with a 20+ year old Weil-McLean oil burning hot-water baseboards heating system.

This probably sounds crazy, and based on the fact I could find virtually no DIY install guides, is installing a furnace a simple process that a guy can do on his own?

If your replacing an old furnace with a similar new furnace (hot-water heat oil burning), is it as simple as installing a new hot water heater? Detach everything from the old and attach it to the new? Follow verbatim included instructions?

My hvac/plumbing knowledge extent is sweating pipe. Other than that I'm good at reading :)

The only reason I ask, is it seems from what I've heard, most jobs are billed approximately double the cost of the furnace. ($4k furnace = $8k after install) in southern, NY.

A couple k's are worth taking pretty considerable risk and suffering frustration (short of burning down my house).

After seeing the cost of furnaces from a HVAC supplier when purchasing slant/fin baseboards (which I did replace myself, easy enough, although again, all existing materials were simply replaced, nothing new was added), it seemed substantially cheaper than what most people have paid.

Thoughts?

All opinions are appreciated, even if it's just to call me a cheapskate moron who has no right in a HVAC forum :)

Thanks, Justin

Reply to
Justin

There is a reason for this. Ask you local building/mechanical inspector, and your home-owners insurance agent why.

Ummm....no. Not even close.

Then your nowhere near quilified to attempt this project.

Ya think there is a reason for this?? like maybe the simple fact that *MOST* manufacturers will void any and all warranties on equipment that was not installed by a bonified licensed contractor.

You said it, not me.

Baseboards are a site different than a boiler or furnace.

Spend the $$$ and get it done right the first time, make sure a permit is pulled and the inspection is done.

You already said it.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Justin, A new oil burner is a snap to install. It even comes with installation instructions. So easy, any idiot can do it. Paying someone 4K to install one is nothing but a rip off. Hell, after all, oil runs from the tank to the electrodes and burns. How hard can that be? It's not rocket science you know? $4K is easily worth the gamble of yours and your familys' life. Its very apparent your life aint worth diddly according to your well informed post. Happy piping........... Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It's not a furnace, it's a boiler

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

There's a lot to installing a boiler. Especially an oil fired one. I've been the Fetch on a couple of oil fired boiler installs, and I'd not want to tackle one on my own without that experience. Too many things to know, and to do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ok, I give up! What's a "Fetch?"

Reply to
Zyp

Fetch. N. Person who fetches. Syn. Go-fer, parts runner.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Silly me, I thought it was french for "absolute f****ng moron".

Reply to
Sub Cooled

No, thats spelled "Politician"

Reply to
Noon-Air

The irony is I'd imagine most men in this forum wouldn't hesitate for a second to replace a leaky rusty fuel tank on their car, or perhaps even rebuild an engine "just for the fun of it". Then propel themselves and their family at 70mph atop 20 gallons of highly explosive/flammable gasoline. Furthermore, all without the attention of an ACE Certified Automotive Technician.

Does the average 4-cylinder engine have more parts than a boiler?

Most importantly analyzing the parallel between the two, a 16 year old who succesfully rebuilds his car gets a pat on the back! Apparantly, if the same kid installs a boiler he's a maniacal lunatic looking to kill himself and his family.

Than again, it's discouraged we perform surgery on ourselves, but I can't help but think a doctor completes at the very least 8-years of intense studies prior to diggin in with the scalpal.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Justin

You thought wrong. Im a certified HVAC mechanic and owner of the company. Im not an engine mechanic. I let my Ford dealer take care of my company van repairs and my Honda dealer take care of my mini-van. I dont want to change or install a gas tank, fuel pump, spark plugs or anything else. I also dont know and dont care if a 4 cylinder engine has more parts than a boiler. I'll stick to what I know. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

No, that's in Italian, not French. In French, it means charming and highly intelligent.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the laugh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One suggestion: You can purchase the boiler and/or parts from a supply company and get quotes from _reputable_ installers to do the work. Tell them up front what you'll supply. Hopefully schedule it in summer, when boiler guys are slow and are more willing to negotiate price. Figure 1-2days of labor. Also a charge for incidental materials, which might be high based on how few/many parts you supply. Don't forget to think about who will dispose of old boiler.

Yes, while handy persons CAN conceivably do the somewhat easier stuff like piping and wiring per the manual, the finer details of stack temp balancing, knowing when/why bypasses are needed based on the existing house system, standard practices (i.e. orientation and location of specialized valves & equipment), etc are best left to professionals who've done it many times. (No, I'm not an HVAC contractor, nor am I affiliated with the industry). They also have the experience to troubleshoot something out of the ordinary. Then there's the whole warranty thing and every other caveat that the other posters have mentioned.

So, it may be possible to save a few bucks if you provide the ingredients, and let them cook the meal. But you'll have to be patient and shop around.

Reply to
anthonymmfalcone

Sorry sport, My company will not install *ANY* equipment that was not purchased through my company due to liability and warranty issues.

That won't work either.... My company is on a strict flat rate schedule, we don't charge "Labor"... the price in the book is the *INSTALLED* price, and no, it cannot be broken down.

That is all included when a the boiler or furnace is purchased through a legitmate contractor.

If your not a contractor, or a tech, then what are you doing offering advice to somebody in the first place??

Exactly

Reply to
Noon-Air

Very few reputable companies will install parts supplied by someone else.

I have, on a couple occasions. It's a real hassle. You see, the customer starts off by trying to save a pile of money. Rather than paying a market price for a good job. What has happened to me in the past, is that the customer wants me to supply all my wisdom for free, and parts at wholesale. Folks like that often want the lowest possible discount on the labor too. and might give me a lot of trouble, as to paying me.

The one job I did, the customer had started his own install of AC, in addition to a natural gas furnace. It occured to him at some point that he didn't have the skills. A couple weeks after the system was installed, it stopped working. I went out, and found no freon in the system. I checked for leaks, and got an indication next to the solder joints, on the evaporator. So, I redid the fittings, and put in some freon. Went flat a day or two later. So, the evaporator coil is leaking.

I quoted him based on three hours labor to change the coil, vaccum the system, and 5 pounds of freon. He could take the coil back where he got it, and swap it out. Havn't heard from him.

Seriously, I'd really doubt you'd find many companies that will work under those conditions. You'd have much better results to call and ask when the slow season is, and ask if there's a discount for slow season.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thus, by your own words Stormy, you are admitting you are less than reputable and a complete stupid hack

Sounds like you are getting a deal on that one Stormy since you have absolutely NO wisdom, skill or smarts.

Being the hack you are Im sure you have trouble getting money from anyone but the old ladys.

An indication? WTF is that? It's either a leak or it's not a leak you Moron!

Nice job asshole. Once again, you've proven you are a complete useless hack that cant even find a leak so big that the entire charge leaks out 1 day later!!!

Gee, it wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that you cant do a simple leak check and repair properly now would it Stormy?

It seems someone found one particular asshole that would.

Slow season? I guess that would be 52 wks out of the year for you Stormy.

I dont discount my work. Neither does my supplier. Ive never once seen my wholesaler send out a flier saying, "Hey, its slow here. Come buy our equipment. We've discounted it due to the weather". (No, scratch and dent sales dont count).

You really need to give up Stormy. Everytime you type you prove how stupid you are. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

OMG! Sometimes life just hands you material. Where to start...

Reply to
Sub Cooled

Actually 6, the last two years are internship.

Reply to
Zyp