DIY furnace replacement

What are the warranty problems that one will run into if you so a DIY on a replacement of your furnace?
I've seen some mfrs (Goodman for one) that no longer accept non-professional installations for warranty items. I fully understand the challenges involved in doing this as a DIY project, but I am well skilled in every aspect (sheet metal, gas lines, electrical, venting, etc) and I don't take any short cuts. I just want to save some money, since it's pretty tight right now.
Anything else to be concerned about?
-------------------------------------
alfred wrote:

    If you had seen what some of the licensed pros do, you would not worry about the quality of what YOU can do. I had occasion to speak with a representative from the manufacturer of my units, and told him of the poor quality done on my units. His response was: "Not all such licensed installers are equally skilled." That my friend, is the understatement of the year!!
    There are requirements from homeowner insurance companies that such work be performed by licensed HVAC people. Just thought I would mention that.

Yes.... No license, no warranty (yes they know)
No license, can't pull a permit to get it inspected..... could cause big fines, removal, and re-installation by a licensed professional....*after* the fines are paid, and whenever the inspector gets around to it.
No license, big time problems with your home owners insurance..... can you say "Cancellation"??

HO can pull a permit and have it inspected no problem.

Yeah.... they do that in them foreign countries up north.

The main concern is that you wind up with a shithead as an installer.
Have a nice day! :-)
--
"Intelligent Design" Helping Stupid People Feel Smart Since 1987

As if many residential "pros" are not hacks ;)
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:34:04 +0000, blackhole531_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (alfred) wrote:

Warranty often depends on the specific suppler. The only answer is to ask.
Legality, home insurance and liability is an issue depending upon your locality. Some localities trust licensed installers independent if they are highly skilled (rare in residential work in my area) or low bidder talent less hacks. Other localities (such as mine) actually do a decent inspection and allow single family homeowners to install everything. (one exception, my locality requires a licensed gas fitter to connect gas, not even a HVAC pro can to that unless they also are also a licensed gas fitter)
My home owner insurance only requires a signed off permit & inspection per my local regulations.
So
- Check the specific supply house for warranty
- Check your local inspector for legality.
- Check your home owner's insurance for coverage.
- If gas, check the ignitor warranty or lack there of. Ignitor reliability has gone way down hill with the now common cheap hot surface ignitors. (check this even if a pro does the work) gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com