Digital Thermostat

Page 1 of 2
I am hoping that someone might have a suggestion.....
I bought a ritetemp digital thermostat from Home Depot. I have a two wire system, one white and one black wire.
I followe the instructions for 2 wire wiring and everything worked fine. Two weeks later I came home to find the furnace running eventhough the thermostat was in the "OFF" position. I returned the thermostat and got a new ritetemp digital. I wired it up and I am having the same problem. I reversed the wires and there is no change. I have one wire to the "W" and the second to the "RH" that has the jumper.
Is it my wiring, the thermostat or an issue at the furnace?

It's almost always the thermostat. It's normal to have to go through several of those RiteTemp thermostats before you find one that works. I guess you lucked out on the first one, and got one that worked. Keep trying. You might get one that works again.
Might have to bring home three or four at a time, to save trips to the store. Price of gas, and all.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:08:54 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

The tires to your pinto are not a part of the furnace dumbass.
Al Moran posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

are two sizes too small.
--
Tekkie

Well, for guys who claim to be heating and AC fellows, you sure are doing a poor job of internet diagnosis. How sad. You both had a perfect chance to display some professional wisdom. Your posts speak volumes about you.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Wait, WAIT!. Lemme guess, Chris. Im guessing you replaced................."Your shit for brains"? Bubba

Didn't think you would know. Well, even ignorant people such as yourself can type.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I'll admit I've not used one of these thermostats. But, from what you're describing, I've got two ideas. The first is less likely.
1) there is a switch inside the thermostat to change from heat pump to split system. Causes the therm to supply signal to the G lead (or not). 2) The new thermostat shoulda been wired to Y2 instead of Y1, at the air handler. Or the other way around. Y1 instead of Y2.
Since the customer replaced a two wire stat, you didn't say if s/he pulled a new wire. But we'd have to guess s/he did.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Well, th at leave the yellow wire to YH or YL at the air handler.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Ready Chris? I told you it was learning time.
Simple nuff here...The relay in the unit worked fine. Thus, the fan ran on the ON position. The lack of the fan running in AUTO was due to the fact that the White Rodgers stat that is cooling only, had the G and the Y wired at the base together. The Lux didnt do this. Therefore, all one had to do, was simply remove the low speed fan ternimal from the relay, and splice the high speed line in. That makes the fan run on high when the thermostat is switched to ON, and then, you take the terminal end of the lead, and plug it on the contactor so that when it closes, BADDA BING..ya got air. Since the heat isnt used on this, but the landlord wanted the fan to run on both settings, this altho odd setup will work fine and will not have you trying to cook the motor with power applied to the low and high windings at the same time.

aka-SBM posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

pay attention. Do you think the person this is intended for will?
--
Tekkie