Dehumidifier healing

Page 2 of 2

Needs a thermostat on the evaporator. Which turns off the compressor when the coils get to 32F or so.
Might also be low on freon. Running too low a suction pressure.
Could also use more air flow.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
TimR wrote:

I really should tell you to go fuck yourself, but I will give it to you the simplest way I know. How the hell do you think a humidifier or an air conditioner condenses vapor into liquid? Simple the very cold grid it passes over turns the vapor cold enough to become liquid. In the process some of it becomes frost on the grids. If it has a heater cycle ..it will melt it off that way. If not the cooling gas pressure is kept slightly above freezing. Now you may have a unit that is low on charge or you may have a heater cycle crapped out or and more likely..You are anally retentive and need some minor thing to bellyache about. Call a Service company that does Air conditioning or refrigeration repair. Whatever you do...Go away!

These things cost $100 to $200 new.
Is it likely they have sophisticated controls, and a reversing valve? Or a heater?
Could be, I guess, those Chinese can do some amazing stuff.
A service tech will charge a large percentage of the new cost, and may not know how to fix it, given that they don't see many of these. For obvious reasons.
Now a serious question. (anybody want to show off?)
How would you know one is running correctly? Where would you take temperatures, and what should they be? The air on these goes through both sets of coils, and comes out warm.
For that matter, would you charge these by superheat, or subcooling?
TimR wrote:

Go away! The information booth is now closed. It is coin operated. Drop in enough money to pay for our Keg of beer and a BBQ'ed Hog and the information will be forthcoming.

Sorry, you're in violation of the rules of the group.
Until I ask you how to fix it myself, identifying myself as a homemoaner, you are obligated to continue the dialogue.
Hey - I don't make the rules, I just follow them like everybody else.
TimR wrote:

Too bad Dude. I am a stockholder and on the Board of Indirectors. The rules here are that there are no rules other then open season on Homemoaners. In fact I may be influenced to vote for a bounty on your dumb ass.

Only as long as you amuse us...And of course we do bill you for refreshments while being entertained.

You have gotten that right. The only rules we have is for ourselves. The main one is to shoot to wound and cause much pain as possible.
I just follow them like everybody

be very careful with rhetoric like that. Pontius Pilate is our Judge and he really gets off on crucifixion. The insane Mormon gets the remains to feed his pet vultures.

Actually, there is an impressive level of technical expertise on this group. Many of you are working techs who have fixed just about every variety of residential and commercial heat pump, air conditioner, freezer and walking cooler.
I haven't.
But, given the economics of it, most of you have never opened a residential dehumidifier. It's not completely unlikely that nobody here has. Certainly none of you have ever been paid to do so. They might not look like you think they do.
I've been paid to repair dehum, more than once. I used to pick them off the curb, and fix em up for resale. During the couple weeks I worked for Sears in 1996, I did service at least one dehum, in the shop. Some brazing copper, and recharge one. Another, can't remember what it needed. Been a bit of a while ago.
I've also serviced dehum for my friends, and for my parents.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why did Sears fire you?
No, wait.... Don't answer that. I already know.
--
Intelligent Design Helping Stupid People Feel Smart Since 1987

TimR wrote:

Actually most of us have. I bill accordingly. Which reminds me, your refreshments bill is now in arrears.
On Jul 6, 8:39pm, Hermann <Herm...

Yeah, yeah.
You all talk a good show.
But none of you can tell me what temperatures would be measured at any given place in a dehumdifier.
That tells me you're all blowing smoke.
TimR wrote:

Nope! That smoke is coming from your dehumidifier.

    We got something else you can blow, too.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

No way! You never can tell where that mouth has been.

---
Much same as any other refrigerated device. Discharge tube about 140 to 170. Suction line between 30 and 50.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus