Dehumidifier healing

Page 1 of 2

I have a large basement with rec room, bedroom, bath.
It's not air conditioned like upstairs, just has a dehumidifier.
At the end of last summer, I noticed it was icing up across the bottom third of the coil. I turned it off over the winter, it stays very dry <20% RH).
This summer I cleaned the filter and the coils and turned it back on - still icing up on the lower third. Humidity in the basement was about 75%.
So I started shopping for a good deal on another dehumidifier.
Meanwhile I left it running. It stopped icing up, the basement is staying at 75 F and 58% RH. It seems to have healed itself.
How can that be?
Sounds like the unit is low on freon, or possibly dirty condensor. As to the healing, must have had a change of ambient temp or humidity.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

    PFM
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Maybe and just maybe if you had it clean last year results would have bean better last year, "working as it should"

Maybe. But the filter wasn't that dirty, and I didn't get that much off the coil either.
And it iced up for a good 2 - 3 weeks before it healed.
Maybe some crud in the restriction? There's a cap tube in these, right?

Yes there is, and when you said that it healed itself that is the first thing I thought of. Units that frost the lower third because of a refrigerant leak don't mysteriously heal themselves. Beware that if the "crud" fell back into the condenser it may rear its ugly head again. If it made it through to the evaporator it is probably either in the screen on the side of the accumulator if it is a rotary compressor or in the sump if it is a reciprocating compressor.

    Apparently you don't realize that many dehumidifers are DESIGNED to ice up ( 'frost up' lightly, and then defrost either by off-cycle or reverse-cycle ). After all that ice is the humidity you wanted to pull out of the air.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Jul 3, 9:06am, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

I definitely do not realize that. I know air conditioners and heat pumps are designed to detect ice ups and defrost them, but this seems a bit unlikely to be normal operation for a residential dehumidier. Can you suggest a brand or model that works that way?
That ice is not humidity pulled out of the air - it doesn't go down the drain, but back into the air eventually. And during the time the icing was occuring, the room humidity did not drop. After the icing stopped, it did.
So I'm not saying 100% you're wrong, but I gotta say it sounds on the unlikely side to me so far.

    Pretty much all of them.

    What is it then, Alphalpha sprouts ? Magic beans ? Faerie dust ?

    Ummm... idiot ... think about what you just said.
    Are you even aware that wator vapor in the air, liquid water, and ice are all the same thing, merely in different states ?

    You would be better off saying nothing. Leaves some room for doubt as to your knowledge level, you know ?
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Jul 4, 9:14am, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Yeah, right.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, then. I have this goofy idea that dehumidifiers are designed to condense water vapor into liquid water and flow it down into a collection tank or, in my case, a hose to the drain. Further, I'm such a moron I think coils icing up is bad.
You think dehumidifiers are designed to freeze that vapor into ice, then wait for an off cycle and let it sublimate back into the air, and that's a good thing. I'm sure a small amount of it drips into the drain - or maybe not. It's on the outside surface of the coil. And it prevents moist air hitting the coil for the entire time it's there.
I have only results to judge from. When my dehumidifier is icing up, the room humidity does not drop. When it is running without icing up, the room humidity goes down. That suggests to me that icing is bad, you're telling me that icing is normal. Hmmm.

Doesn't really matter now. The icing condition has reappeared, the room humidity is starting to climb. I'm going to have to buy a new dehumidifier, unless someone can suggest an easy fix. At the price of a new unit, repair seems unlikely.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:49:42 -0400, The King

    He probably wants to argue about that, too.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
The King wrote:

Then you can have the benefit of two of them icing up. Be sure to get the same exact model.

    That's fine. You go ahead and disagree if you like. Someday if you feel like buying me a couple of beers, we can sit down and compare your background and knowledge base on this topic with mine.

    You're not a moron for thinking that, you're a moron for refusing to get educated about it, and learn where you are wrong.

    I don't 'think', I KNOW. And BTW, ask yourself WTF exactly happens during that off cycle, OTHER than sublimation ( which is a trivial influence on the energies involved ).
    Do you know what the word MELTING means ? Did you know that ice sometimes MELTS when it gets warm ?
    What do you get when ice MELTS ????? Oh, nevermind .....

    Yes, go buy one. Goodbye.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
---
Needs Mormon laying on of hands.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds gay to me...Just sayin"

Shows where your mind is at -- the gutter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

~>Shows where your mind is at -- the gutter.
That's not a very christian thing to say Stormy.
I am not the final judge but you will burn in hell, screaming and crying in searing heat in agony for at least 3 eons for that transgression alone.
Have a nice day!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You just keep those laying on of Mormon hands to yourself. Just Sayin'.