Dehumidifier - add to HVAC or stand alone

Page 2 of 2
My house is not extremely moldy or humid, but my wife has developed a bad mold allergy and we have to get the house less humid before the weather gets warmer in May. I have talked to several HVAC people about adding a dehumidifier to the main system. This will be expensive but I will do it if I have to. One guy told me that one stand alone unit often does the trick. I can buy one of these at Home Depot for about $160. They are noisy and you have to empty them frequently though and I don't really want one running in the house. Then he told me something I am questioning, and this is my real question for you. My house has a crawl space, just about 3 feet high. I put plastic down years ago. This fellow told me I could put a stand alone dehumidifier in the crawl space under the house and it had a good chance of solving my problems and lowering the humidity in the whole house. Does this make sense?
If you have the crawl space sealed properly then you stop it at the source and your normal AC unit should do the rest. By sealing it properly I mean with a heavier plastic then what you probably used and seal as in to all seams and to the brick work/ cinder blocks. This is usually done by someone in the business and not a home owner. Other than that a proper cleaning of your appliances AC and Frig you should be in good shape.
[...]
Thanks for the info. I'm going to get an estimate on having someone in the business seal it with that heavy plastic. How much does that usually cost?
On Mar 30, 9:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I dunno...my crystal ball is broken and I can't *SEE* it through my computer keyboard.
--
Steve @ Noon-Air Heating & A/C

Stop calling me for freebies!
It depends on which drunk at the bar you pick + the cost of the boxes or saran wrap he uses. Bubba
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:27:01 -0700 (PDT), tom carr