Decommision HP - Turtle's "Self Suck" Method

I want to decommsion an old HP and haul it to the landfill where they will recover the refrigerant. (like they do with old refrigerators)

In the archives I came across Turtle's "self suck" method of running the HP in A/C mode, close the liquid valve and then close the suction valve once it's "slurped" all it's refrigerant and packed it back into the condensor.

At what point do I shut the suction valve? When pressure completely drops to 0 or when the compressor sounds like it's getting pissed off?

Even though the unit is old (1979 vintage) I really don't want to damage it. As an option, I might choose to try and sell it on CL since it's still operational.

I see there are lots of wanted ads for old HP's but I assume is to salvage the copper content.

Reply to
Bud

Depends on how low you get before the compressor gets pissed off :-) There is no standard answer cause we don't know how much charge is in it or how long the lineset is. Odds are good you can get it all.

1979 is worthless in terms of resale.
Reply to
jamesgangnc

Tried that once--ended up falling off the dresser...threw my back out for nearly a week.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

I had some girlfriends that were good self suckers. Maybe they could share some of their tips!

Reply to
Howard

You have to pack a hamster first...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Pay my above no mind.

( Just I was Oscar baiting is all ).....

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Howard wrote

Girlfriends are only good suckers until they become wives. Oh.... and in case any wives are reading this and laughing to themselves....that's also why husbands have girlfriends.... :-)

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Is there sex on TV? There is until you fall off!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Many may be shocked at my reply, but this statement is 100% truth. No getting around it, its a fact of life. Every single word of it, as a matter of fact, I was thinking of writing a book about it. I have so many friends with girlfriends and they all say the exact same thing as Bob just said..........

Oh, I'm writing the book right after I win the Presidency

rich

Reply to
Geoman