Dealers paid to give in-home quotes ??

After having 3 contractors spend 1-1.5 hrs giving quotes for systems, I have to believe that they are somehow getting paid by the factories to give quotes...say $50-$75 a visit.

Otherwise, this could be done in 30-45 minutes. Best line so far, Brand X does work for Nasa, ergo their systems get crossover design benefits..Haaaa.

JG

Reply to
jgrove24

We are not paid to give "estimates" this usually takes about 10 minutes, however when we do the engineering to correctly size and design a system for the customers home, and lay out a complete comfort and controls package, this is going to take several hours and yes its going to cost several hundred dollars that can be credited towards the purchase of the new system. If the contractor cannot, or will not give what he tells you in writing, then show him the door.

Reply to
Noon-Air

The HVAC industry has changed so much over the years since I started.

In my state, I am required to do a Manual J and a Manual D to quote and install a residential job regardless if it is a retro fit or new construction. (I use software now but it all translates to the same..Manual J and Manual D). This is a time consuming process even with the aid of a computer. I am actually happy to hear that you have contractors in your home, spending the time to listen and make adjustmetns...and yes...you may hear differing opinions on what your needs are. This is a benefit to you, not us. We are not paid per quota from manufactures, we are only rewarded by satisfied, lifetime customers. Those not following this guideline are at risk of being sued or losing their license through the state by not planning the job right regardless of the quality of workmanship they provide (I have seen some installs that were worthy of pictures but did not fit the application). You already know not to trust the contractor who says "trust me", nor should you trust the other contractor who says, "I'll do what he says but at lower price." If they aren't willing to do their homework, how can you trust that they will provide you the best system and support?

Reply to
becauseofjunk

becauseofjunk;

What state are you in [beside confusion?]

Reply to
Zyp