I have two propane furnaces (both Nordyne, both installed 4 years ago).
The one upstairs is a smaller unit (only heating 1500 sq. feet) and
has never given me a moment of trouble. The heating unit downstairs is
located in my basement and is a much larger unit. My basement is
simply a dirt floor and stays slightly damp most of the year.
Just FYI: My propane storage tank is very old. The propane lines
coming into the house and supplying all my appliances are new (replaced
2 years ago).
Okay, last winter I noticed a funny smell in the house. Turns out the
entire downstairs heating system was coated in soot and the heat
exchanger was cracked. The heating people replaced the heat exchanger.
Four weeks ago, I noticed the funny smell again. Guess what! Soot and
a cracked heat exchanger.
Also, I was told by the heating people that allowing my propane tank to
go below 30% causes reduced pressure and incomplete combustion. He
told me this possibly caused the problem. Is this true? I really
believe the problem is with the heating unit itself because my upstairs
unit is fine and clean.
Is it possible that something else is wrong with the heating unit (i.e.
pressure regulator) that could cause this?
Thanks for any help you can give.