Converting an air conditioner to a heat pump

How feasible would it be to convert a split air conditioner to a heat only heat pump? I still have too many projects to complete before I could attempt to do something like this, but I find it interesting to think about projects like that. I realize that I would need a refrigerant capture device and take an exam before I could buy refrigerant.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

dan. not sure what u mean by heat only heat pump. a heat pump can be in a split or package unit. it cools and heat. the condenser has a reversing valve that switches the flow of refrigerant to cool or heat. it would be quit a project to turn ur straight cool condenser 2 a heat pump. the heat pump needs a reversing valve, different refrigerant piping in the condenser, metering device in condenser and in a coil, bi flow filter drier, defrost timer, defrost relay, temperature sensors etc... recovery machines and cylinders for refrigerant are expensive. as far as the exam, u need a epa certification 2 buy refrigerant. a basic background in a/c and recovering techniques help for the exam. most states supply houses will not sell u refrigerant if u are not a contractor. let me know whats up. fadel

------------------------------------- desert comfort

desertcomfort

On Oct 22, 2:42=A0am, info_at_desertcomfortmechanical_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (

By a heat only heat pump, I mean a system without a reversing valve. But connected so that it will not cool the house. It would only heat the house.

I know that recovery machines are expensive and I also know that an exam is required to get a epa cert. But wanted this thread to just consider what would need to be done to change a cool only system to a heat only system. Not to discuss how impractical an idea this is. For this discussion consider that a licensed HVAC tech with a complete set of tools is going to do all the work.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

By a heat only heat pump, I mean a system without a reversing valve. But connected so that it will not cool the house. It would only heat the house.

I know that recovery machines are expensive and I also know that an exam is required to get a epa cert. But wanted this thread to just consider what would need to be done to change a cool only system to a heat only system. Not to discuss how impractical an idea this is. For this discussion consider that a licensed HVAC tech with a complete set of tools is going to do all the work.

Get on usenet, instead of succo company, and maybe somebody will tell you something other than your another idiot trying to reinvent the wheel. But if you had a half a clue, its real easy to convert a straight a/c to heat only, but why would you *want* to when there are so many other options already out there for heating.

Reply to
Steve

What you'd have to do, is to rearrange several tubing connections. Have the high pressure go to the (formerly) evaporator, and from there to the (what was formerly the) condensor. I'm not sure the evaporator would take the higher pressures, but maybe so. You'd have to also equip the (formerly) condensor with some kind of freeze warning device, and a defrost cycle.

In theory, it could be possible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I figure that one would have to move the tev or disable the existing one and install a new one. My guess is that the existing valve would work, but it is only a guess.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

In theory??? ya mean like a heat pump??

Your ignorance is showing moron.

Reply to
Steve

Not sure if it would handle the lower temperatues across the coil, but might work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, your basic personality is showing. So, you in retail with that abusive, and condescending attitude? How long, and what is your customer base reactin to your abuse and sneering at them?

Customer: " think my thermostat is broken." Steve: "What's a complete retard like you doing, living in a house?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

and you still don't have a freakin clue

Reply to
Steve

I figure that one would have to move the tev or disable the existing one and install a new one. My guess is that the existing valve would work, but it is only a guess.

Dan

Dude, just buy a heat pump.

Reply to
Steve

Dan, it would be a nice little project if you had money to spend on a learning experience. There are some differences in the compressors and outdoor coils of factory heat pumps and your best bet would be to get hold of a used heat pump from Craigslist or a dealer who pulled one out. Get a lot more experience with HVAC before you tackle this one.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Customer: I think I'll call someone else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I find it too easy to dream up learning projects, so may never get around to this one. I thought there might be some differences between compressors for heat pumps and compressors for air conditioners, but have not figured out what would drive the differences.

I am afraid I am going to have to sign up for some classes on HVAC at the local votech to satisfy my curiousity. But right now do not seem to have the time.

One of the reasons I thought of this as a project is that used air conditioners can be found on Craigslist at prices that encourage a learning experience. Used heat pumps are a little more expensive initially, but maybe less expensive overall.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sounds like you're having fun, learning. If your climate isn't too harshly cold, you might be able to make a window AC work as a heat pump. You'd want to take it apart, and clean it thoroughly first.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are not, nor will ever be one of my customers, I don't do charity work.

Reply to
Steve

How much would you charge to SMD? Do I get a discount for providing you with some really good brainfood? (I take lots of vitamins)

Reply to
Existential Angst

Isn't the quickest way to turn a window A/C into a heat pump to just turn it around in the window?

Or, for a minisplit, mount the condenser on the inside, and cooling coils on the outside?

Just run the power cord to the inside of the house, and add a switch! heh....

I tried to use a window A/C as an inside de-humidifier -- just plopped in on a milk crate, with a drip pan -- but it kept freezing up.

Reply to
Existential Angst

It was probably low on refrigerant. Quickest way to tell on cap tube systems is they will freeze the beginning of the evaporator coil. Sure bet its low if you see that type of frost pattern. Juice it up to 62=64 and make sure you have an 18 - 20 degree air temp split across the evap and the full coil is sweating. Everything, with a few exceptions, in the refrigeration trade evolves around the delta of two numbers. 10 and 20.

A 20 degree (+ or - 2 degrees) evaporator air delta on comfort cooling equipment is common. If its it way out of wack there's other problems.

As for the original posters questions, well I think he's not thinking clearly. It would cost more to buy the parts separately and take a lot more time to frankenstein a standard a/c into a hp then it would cost to buy them as a whole. In that sense he only needs two parts. A hp outdoor unit and a hp indoor coil. Better hurry though, pretty soon everything will be 410a and he'll need new lines too.

Reply to
The King

Customer: Hello Union Hall? Please send some overpriced Union hack over to kiss my ass and polish my thermostat. Not until next month? That will be fine. I understand that you fellows need your time off. Yes, I unserstand Drug rehab takes time. I guess I will have to utilize the Mormon until then. Have you considered recruit the Mormons to Unionism? Oh, You are afraid Stormy will make your experts look bad? understood. ;-p >

Reply to
Don Ocean