Condenser Valve Question

Recently I had my two heating/AC systems replaced with Rheem units. During the installation I noticed that some Freon escaped during the charging operation of the new A/C systems. The condenser units are RAND-24JAZ models, R22, SEER 13 units.

The installation information states the Service Valve is "NOT" back seated on these units. I have read of some valves (King Valves I believe), that cut off the input of coolant when the valve is backed out. When they removed the hoses, they did so rapidly so as to lose a minimum of Freon. My question is: Is it possible that these units were made so that escaping Freon cannot be stopped when attaching and disconnecting the hoses for charging, or was the installer unaware of how to do it without allowing the escape?

This is not a major problem as I hope the new units serve me well as the old ones had done, but it is a curiosity. Thanks.

Reply to
Ken

THere will aways be a "de-minumus" release when the hoses are removed...even with the environmentaly friendly "dry break" fittings, you will still get a minimal release.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I appreciate your reply, but what I apparently failed to describe properly was the Freon escaping from the Schrader valve. In my old system they had a cut off valve that closed access to the system via the Schrader valve, and when the hoses were released it was only the Freon from inside the hoses that would escape. My situation was such that they either failed to cut off this path or there was no way of cutting it off. Since Rheem makes a reliable unit, I wondered if it was possible that there was no cut off? Anyone familiar with these units???

Reply to
Ken

Nobody uses backseating valves on residential equipment anymore except for maybe some Bryant stuff. The only thing that keeps the refrigerant in the system is the schrader and the service port cap.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I am familiar with them...Buy a Rheem, get Rheemed.

Reply to
Al Moran

Thanks, that is what I needed to know.

Reply to