Condenser problem??

I have a Heil 5000 hvac system. Live in the south where it's hot & humid. Occasionally when the inside unit cycles off I hear the condenser unit continue running for 30-45 seconds before it shuts down. Seems to happen mostly when the outside temp is mid 90's or hotter. Is this normal? I'm thinking possibly a cooldown for a hot compressor? Or would it be a sticking contactor? It doesn't do it all the time, or long enough to troubleshoot, so I'm left guessing. Any constructive comments are appreciated.

Red

Reply to
Red

Normal? No

Compressor cooldown? No

Lead to costly repair if left as-is? Yes

Get a competent tech out to diagnose and correct the problem.

Reply to
<kjpro

I&#39;d have an HVAC tech. check out the unit. You just may have a sticking contactor and if it&#39;s not corrected soon, it WILL get expensive.

Reply to
Zephyr

If it&#39;s a heat pump then maybe change thermostat setting from ( or to ) auto changeover.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Are you sure the outdoor unit is actually running after the indoor unit shuts down or are you just hearing the refrigerant still moving through the copper line set? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It&#39;s actually running. I can look out the window and see the fan blades turning. Funny thing though is the relative consistancy of the run-on time when it does it. I would think a sticking contactor would be more variable in time. However I gave the contactor a good spraying with contact cleaner & will see if there is any difference. If none, I&#39;ll replace the contactor. Red

Reply to
Red

Why not call someone that KNOWS what&#39;s happening, that can diagnose the real problem?

Reply to
<kjpro

Then you need to replace the thermostat (after the contactor). After all........its almost always the thermostat. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Because as I said in the original post, it&#39;s an "occasional" occurance, as in "once or twice a week and not often enough to troubleshoot". Why pay for a callout when chances are the problem will not occur while the tech is there? My intent for the original post was to ask if a rundown was normal for a hotter than normal compressor and I got the answer of "no". BTW, I have 50 years experience in instrumentation & control circuitry and know well that when an intermittent problem occurs the best you can do is make logical guesses. So I&#39;m guessing a weak return spring in the contactor or the thermostat. You may have other guesses, but at this point I&#39;m going to try mine first.

Red

Reply to
Red

First, I don&#39;t guess, I troubleshoot and diagnose problems.

Second, a competent tech KNOWS what to look for. Unlike yourself, he WOULDN&#39;T have sprayed contact cleaner on the contactor hoping to resolve this issue! And for you having 50 years experience... only shows your lack of training in your own field!

Reply to
<kjpro