Condenser Motor Or Capacitor?

Page 4 of 6

Since I haven't had a motor failure, I'll take that choice when it comes. Remember, I'm not knocking the entire industry for doing important valuable work. I'm knocking for overcharging on the quick simple repairs... same as I'd do when any other industry made me feel the same way.
Figuring out a 5 to 3 wire isn't going to be a problem. For better and worse we now have the so-called information superhighway, though with a schematic or hookup diagram I'd be fine without the internet, and such things tend to be available on better manufacturer's websites if not included with the motor itself like on the label.

Since I haven't had a motor failure, I'll take that choice when it comes. Remember, I'm not knocking the entire industry for doing important valuable work. I'm knocking for overcharging on the quick simple repairs... same as I'd do when any other industry made me feel the same way.
Figuring out a 5 to 3 wire isn't going to be a problem. For better and worse we now have the so-called information superhighway, though with a schematic or hookup diagram I'd be fine without the internet, and such things tend to be available on better manufacturer's websites if not included with the motor itself like on the label.
__________
Why don't you change your posting name to CLUELESS?

Thanks for your most helpful and valuable replay. Oh wait, it had no purpose at all... oh well.

Thanks for your most helpful and valuable replay. Oh wait, it had no purpose at all... oh well.
________
Just like all of your dribble.

Fact #1: They will fail sooner if not relubed after a few years. Fact #2: Two such motors in turn began making significant squealing noises from the bearings after roughly year 8 of service. Fact #3: Relubed, the squealing stopped and they continue to run fine at the 15 year mark.
Don't relube yours if you don't want to. This isn't my first home, not first HVAC system, I've never had a fan failure and always relube. Do with that info whatever you like.

What are you babbling about? It is up and running now. Let's look at the timeline. It failed in the middle of the night before Labor Day. Labor Day the suppliers were closed. Next day by 10 AM it was fixed and working again. If your insight about using an oscope is correct, it came a day too late, but in fact, an ohmmeter is capable of finding typical shorts in motor windings. I suspect you just toss in a new motor while my background is one of finding exact cause.
I tend to always find cause before swapping in a new part, the difference in perspective may be partially due to my not having a work truck loaded with spare parts, I'll grant that, but additionally my pause was that I'd never choose a capacitor I expected to fail in 2 years time. That was the basis for my hesitation in considering the motor in the first place instead of just replacing the capacitor.
Who in this forum suggested only replacing the capacitor first? Nobody. I made the right call, get over it.

[...]
___________
Who in this forum really gives a crap about your little HVAC problems???
Zyp wrote:

Good God! I hope his kid never gets sick.

If they do, it will be less likely than your kids since you don't seem to have any common sense. If they do, I'll be able to do what is necessary instead of the insane nonsense you describe.
I truely hope you don't have kids, because you are inable to handle even simple things like a capacitor replace ment or accept when someone is overcharging for one.
On a side note, if you have kids, please say so, I think you need to have them out of your custody. Dead serious, child, you have no idea what kind of situation you may be placing yourself in.
Sounds like the condenser fan motor is defective Replace the fan motor :-)

Depending on the brand and the part number on the coil, some wholesale costs are as high as $800 or more for a resi evap coil...TXV is extra. This is part of the reason that it can be over $2,000. for a coil replacement. Then there is the travel time to pick up the coil, filter drier(s), the additional refrigerant, the 4 hours of the techs time to do a coil replacement *correctly*, etc.
Noon, cost was $107, had price list in my hand as was gonna replace my A/C that weekend, 900 is a gouge IMHO

Ok, the coil was $107... then add the following... Expansion valve filter/drier(s) torch silver brazing rod vacuum pump and oil micron gauge gage manifold digital thermometer PVC pipe and fittings 5 hours of tech time administrative time and book keeping licenses business insurance the truck the trucks inventory and special tools truck notes truck insurance truck maintenance and repairs Phones advertising computer internet fees
and a host of other costs and expenses......Now... explain again to me how $900 is a ripoff?? We charge what we have to charge to stay in business. BTW... that $15 pizza from Domino's only costs them $1.25 to *make*. I suppose you think thats a rip too??
When your on your second career and have 12 as a business owner, then come run your mouth boy.

This is not appropriate for this topic.
Certainly if you did a lot of work you are entitled to good pay for it. I have never meant to suggest a man shouldn't have fair wages. I only mentioned one scenerio, where _I_ felt cheated for less than 30 minutes total inlcuding drive time for a part that cost me $13.
yoU're most certainly entitled to whatever the market will bear, I only told about why I personally will not pay over $200 to replace a $13 capacitor that I can replace myself. Certainly there are others who have no clue about fixing the problem, so they necessarily have to pay more for someone to trace the problem.

This is not appropriate for this topic.
Certainly if you did a lot of work you are entitled to good pay for it. I have never meant to suggest a man shouldn't have fair wages. I only mentioned one scenerio, where _I_ felt cheated for less than 30 minutes total inlcuding drive time for a part that cost me $13.
yoU're most certainly entitled to whatever the market will bear, I only told about why I personally will not pay over $200 to replace a $13 capacitor that I can replace myself. Certainly there are others who have no clue about fixing the problem, so they necessarily have to pay more for someone to trace the problem.
----------------
What the market will bear has nothing to do with the fact that you got charged a fair price, and that contractor will *still* be in business when you need him again. When prices go up again, then you will pay more. We don't have a monopoly on this...

This is not appropriate for this topic.
Certainly if you did a lot of work you are entitled to good pay for it. I have never meant to suggest a man shouldn't have fair wages. I only mentioned one scenerio, where _I_ felt cheated for less than 30 minutes total inlcuding drive time for a part that cost me $13.
yoU're most certainly entitled to whatever the market will bear, I only told about why I personally will not pay over $200 to replace a $13 capacitor that I can replace myself. Certainly there are others who have no clue about fixing the problem, so they necessarily have to pay more for someone to trace the problem.
_________
Yet you still came here asking simple questions... go figure!

It costs me $191 to put my truck on the road to go *to* a service call(using last months figures), and thats before I ever turn a screwdriver, yet I can only charge $75 for the service call fee..... Screw it, he is dumber than a democrap politician, and not worth it.

You are just plain lying if you claim it costs you $191 to put a truck on the road for every call it goes to. Hint - I too drove a truck to work every day, this is not a bullshit session this is real life where other people own trucks and pay expenses.

You are just plain lying if you claim it costs you $191 to put a truck on the road for every call it goes to. Hint - I too drove a truck to work every day, this is not a bullshit session this is real life where other people own trucks and pay expenses.
_______
Driving to work everyday isn't the same as keeping one on the road for a business. There are a LOT of other expenses of running a business that have to be covered. But I also understand that you will NEVER understand anything that makes sense.

I want to know how it doesn't cost me that much to put my truck on the road.... I want him to explain how to get my truck for free, and the maintanance, service, repairs, tires, etc for free, I also want to know how to get my insurance for free, then there is the matter of my time.....oh yeah, don't forget the fuel.
This *IS* real life.