Condenser Motor Or Capacitor?

Page 2 of 6

bingo..
Even though you don't get taxed on it....it still comes straight outa the kitty.
over a barrel wrote:

Oh yea, and my kitty won't let go of her's... LOL
--
Zyp

NOPE...
The REAL answer is "42"

Those strags just didn't understand the question.
Got towel?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I think the answer is 42. But we don't want to seem too confident, at least. what's that noise? Why is there so much yellow outside my window?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You feel that being offensive somehow justifies over $200 to drive 5 miles round-trip and do 5 minutes of work? Sorry, but most white collar professionals don't make that nor should you in my opinion, but if you can make a living doing that, it's really up to the customer isn't it?
I for one am a customer that has decided not to pay that much so if you wanted to have my business you'd lower the rate or lose a customer. It's really up to you, and to me too!
I'd rather lose a cheap ass customer than to go under for not charging enough to keep the truck on the road! Or would you rather someone lower their quality of work and send out a rookie, that will inform you that the complete system needs to be replaced? When in fact, if the technician had been properly trained (recieving a proper wage) would have fixed it?

Good, but there's nothing cheap-ass about paying what a job is worth. I mentioned a mechanic's garage in another reply, they're not making $600 an hour nor should you. If you can't get enough business to stay afloat then get off your ass and off the internet and do some work.

If you insist on either being overpaid or doing crap work, NOW I'm seeing why you aren't doing work right this minute.

Note that I never claimed all types of repairs should be cheap, but some certainly seem to cost more than they should.
I fixed it. Note that nobody told me it was the capacitor, the self- proclaimed experts have been trolling, telling me to leave, and doing just about anything except indicating the correct solution.
SOmething's very wrong with this picture and it's not me.
KJPRO wrote:

Personally I hate repairing or installing air conditioning systems for others AND paying for it too.
--
Zyp

I guess you won't be doing any work for this idiot then... I'm sure that bothers you... LOL
snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com wrote:

Most so-called white collar workers are not as well educated-trained and do not have to get their hands dirty after driving to your local. The $200 covers license, insurance, a livable wage for the tech, a couple of thousand a year to send him in to code and new equipment update training.. Carrying about $35,000 in test etc equipment in the highly insured van. Not to mention te large inventory on board. The average start up of a HVAC company can run from $250,000 upward and the initial failure rate is high. It is a 24 hour a day business. It takes training to know what to fix and quickly. When it is 119 in the shade, you want it fixed fast. There are 30 other people waiting. Did I forget to mention those damned Vans with a full load wallow along at about 8 to 12 mpg depending on weather etc.

Fine..Go without! I only work for paying customers and I cherish them. As does my family as we live comfortably on the wages they provide. Now that your in a snit.. Don't go kicking the Dog! It isn't anybodies fault, but the draw of the cards and your whiny attitude.
snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com wrote:

"With the motor open, with the armature removed from the stator, between three wires I'm getting resistance readings of 28 Ohm, 56Ohm, 84 Ohm. These look right for a typical 1 phase condenser motor, being all three multiples of 28 Ohm, correct?"
And you took the motor apart because??????
--
Zyp

He's an engineer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Because if I saw signs of overheating, if the meter showed the thermal breaker was open, or if I wanted to lube the rear sleeve bearing, they're all a heck of a lot easier with it open (impossible when not).
On Sep 2, 5:57am, snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com wrote:

I've opened and relubed all the fans in our HVAC system. Two were clearly squealing and would have failed if I had not, but they are still running fine over 4 years later.
Anyway, made the trip to the local supplier today and picked up a $12 capacitor. That's all it took, fan/motor works fine as does the whole system now. I should've bought two caps while I was there, put one in a drawer as a backup like I do with spare batteries.
One thing I hadn't realized is about 3/4ths of the suppliers around here won't do business with an individual, you have to have a business account with them. Even the place that sold the cap to me had a sign next to their door stating as much. Seems like a shady industry to me, refusing to sell a $12 part so everyone ends up paying over ten times as much. Actually I did work in the HVAC industry years ago doing new residential rough-ins but never dealt with the repair parts/ cost side of the business.
Anyway thanks to everyone for their replies.

[...]
--------------
Here is a *CLUE*.... HVAC contractor is a *RETAIL* business..... same as a grocery store or a mechanics garage, or most any other business. Do you buy your groceries wholesale?? I think not, nor does your mechanic sell wholesale. People are in business to provide for their families and maybe even make a meager profit to reinvest in their companies. Get it?? Got it?? Good... now please go away

You just proved my point. The grocery store doesn't charge over $200 for $17 worth of food. They have to play employees, a lease, and tons of other expenses. The mechanics garage tends to charge closer to $60-100 an hour, plus parts marked up maybe 200%. That pays for their employees, training, shop, insurance, etc, etc, etc. You on the other hand are trying to justify (20 minutes of time including driving @ $200+ markup over the part cost) $600 per hour.
I never wrote that the entire repair should cost $17 total, but facts are facts and the fact is I can go to a mechanics garage and get a $10 relay installed for under $100 including parts, so don't pretend a $17 capacitor should cost well over $200 in total, or do pretend it if you like and watch people end up doing it themselves instead the same as you'll find people who work on their car themselves (which I also do).

Yes you should provide for your family and have something left over. So should someone who needs their AC repaired. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm telling you why I did it myself instead. It's something for you to think about while you have time to be on the internet instead of doing a job you might have gotten if the rate was lower. If you were nearby and had advertised or demonstrated lower rates than I'd mentioned, you might have gotten the job repairing mine the first time, then again. If not you then some other guy that did that. Instead you are spending time on the internet - don't talk to me about money.

I hope you got it. You're entitled to charge whatever you want. And lose business if the price isn't right. Do whatever you like, and so will I and everyone else. Now how about you going away? This is not your forum and even if you spend a lot of time in it that doesn't mean you can be an a$$ and tell people to go away.
Well I guess you can tell people whatever you want but don't pretend it'll do more than reflect badly on you. Yeah I'll go away, because this usenet topic has reached it's conclusion, it wasn't meant to be an argument about excessive charges even if it turned that direction.

[...]
Did the mechanic show up at your home???????

Yes you should provide for your family and have something left over. So should someone who needs their AC repaired. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm telling you why I did it myself instead. It's something for you to think about while you have time to be on the internet instead of doing a job you might have gotten if the rate was lower. If you were nearby and had advertised or demonstrated lower rates than I'd mentioned, you might have gotten the job repairing mine the first time, then again. If not you then some other guy that did that. Instead you are spending time on the internet - don't talk to me about money.
If I have a choice between losing money "sitting at home" vers "fixing your shit" (for under cost) I'll stay home and not worry about putting up with an Asshole!

I hope you got it. You're entitled to charge whatever you want. And lose business if the price isn't right. Do whatever you like, and so will I and everyone else. Now how about you going away? This is not your forum and even if you spend a lot of time in it that doesn't mean you can be an a$$ and tell people to go away.
Well I guess you can tell people whatever you want but don't pretend it'll do more than reflect badly on you. Yeah I'll go away, because this usenet topic has reached it's conclusion, it wasn't meant to be an argument about excessive charges even if it turned that direction.
That's the way *YOU* turned it... not us... ASSHOLE!!!!!!!

[...]
Then quit telling us that we overcharge....