Condensate leakage

The evaporator coil for my daughter's central air conditioning is leaking condensate on the basement floor. The drain line is unobstructed and also flowing some water.
This is a Carrier unit and it was installed with the access panel less than a foot from the basement wall, presumably because the refrigerant connections are right below the panel and it's a direct shot from there to the outdoor unit. Whatever, it was a real pleasure taking the panel off and getting it back on.
Did not see anything obvious with the panel off, but there wasn't much that could be seen from back there. It looks like the condensate tray is on the opposite side of the unit where there is no panel.
Noticed a small cover on one corner. Behind the cover was a drain pipe with a rubber plug in it, from the factory it appears. What is the purpose of this other drain connection? Would it help to also run a drain from it?
I'm guessing that the condensate tray may have a leak in it, but I don't see any easy way of accessing it short of cutting a hole in the housing. I don't know what these trays are made of or if they are are prone to rusting out.
What can you suggest?
Silver Surfer wrote:

If the coil is older than 15 years, it likely has pin holes in the bottom. There's really no remedy other than replacing the complete coil. Since it's in the basement, it will likely not allow the newer coils [larger] to fit without a newer furnace.
Good luck.
--
Zyp

Thank you for the information Mr. Zyp. You provided the insight I was looking for. Much obliged.

Till it ends up being something else, that nobody here can see...
I have another question. Noticed something when I had the cover off, but it didn't register at the time.
The 1" copper condensate drain line runs from the "front" of the unit to the back where it connects to the drain hose. This bare copper pipe was dripping wet, and it's located in the same area where the mystery condensate is escaping through a joint between the evaporator coil housing and the furnace on which it's mounted.
There is no cold air flow through the drain because of several effective traps in the flexible drain hose along its length, but there surely is cold water flowing through it. Now if the humid air entering the evaporator coil passes across this drain pipe would there not be undesirable condensation on its surface?
If that seems feasible then one solution would be to put insulation on the drain pipe, although it's virtually unreachable as is. An alternative would be to plug off the existing drain and install the hose on the other unused drain that is on the front side and is very short and not exposed to incoming air.
What do you think?
By the way, thank you, Gary, for coming to my defense.
Also, to all you professional HVAC gentlemen out there, I apologize if you are offended by my asking for help in this matter. I thought that was one of the purposes of these news groups and numerous others on various topics where I freely offer help to others whenever my knowledge or experience provides the answer they are looking for.
And, I don't have any qualms about calling in a pro when I'm in over my head. However, I take pride in being able to take on and solve problems of all kinds even when my experience is limited. Isn't that what most of you do?

You know, Steve, I just lost a lot of respect for you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ouch! Eww! Ahh! Hey Stormy, I bet Steve is going to lose a lot of sleep over that fact that you no longer approve of his newsgroup ways. Oh, by the way Stormy......... BITE ME! Bubba
Bubba posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Coming from you... I'm sure he could care less.
after another 14 hour day, I just don't give a rats ass about some cheap son of a bitch that comes in here wanting us to tell him how to fix his worn out jurrassic a/c for free. My customers don't have to screw around on here, because they call me, correct any and all problems with their systems, and answer their questions in person so I can *SHOW* them what I am talking bout.. Yes they pay me well, and get it right the first time..
Stormin, you can go fuck yourself, and the horse you rode in on. You don't know shit about the trade, and never will because everybody in this news group has tried to point you in the right direction and you ignore it. Now take you trolling ass back to wherever it is that your majik undies take you and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh Golly..now you went and hurt Steve's feeling.. How cruel of you.

You're still here reading... so you must enjoy it... so now who's the dumbass?
KJPRO wrote:

We are the only folks that will communicate with him. ;-p

IceMan posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

A secondary drain is often used, to alert the occupant of a clogged drain. If water is coming out the secondary drain, the occupant is supposed to know to call for service. A secondary drain line shouldn't hurt.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Silver Surfer wrote:

No, But you will be invaded by 20 young Mormons on a mission of conversion. It would have been better to have overpaid in cash.

I usually get about $125 for consults and estimates. However, when I tried to stick the invoice in my CD reader slot, it shredded, so you don't have to pay.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're charging $125 for *your* consults and estimates??? For what you provide, it should be FREE!!!