concentric vent icing problem

Page 1 of 2
I work maintenance at an apartment complex in northeast Wisconsin. Every winter when the temperature dips below 0 degrees, some of our unit furnaces are disrupted because of condensation ice that forms inside the concentric vent pipe. So far, our only solution has been to go up into the rafters and cut the pipe, then blow hot air up the pipe until the ice melts. Sometimes this can take hours. There must be a better way. Any ideas?

Call a qualified technician.

Are they installed to the manufactures specifications?
Maybe a portion of the pipe is exposed to the outdoors. Try insulating the exposed vent pipe with some armaflex. Sounds like the cold inlet air is causing the hot outlet air to freeze. Usually only a 1' section of the concentric vent is exposed to the outside. If your termination is longer, then this might be the problem.
-Canadian Heat
On 10 Feb 2007 04:14:41 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Brilliant! You do know where the intake air goes on a Concentric, right Canadian? It would be right where you want to insulate. Hows the furnace going to get air dilrod? And its not the hot outlet thats freezing. Its the intake pipe at the wall. Usually frost and ice all over the wall. To the OP: Get the installation booklet and vent it per the directions. Bubba
bubba, as usual you are a dumb shit. Notice how you have no help to offer the guy, just jump on me, because you are obssessed.
Insulation will slide over a concentric vent pipe, without impeding flue gases or inlet air. Your just too dumb to understand I guess. Keep it up bubbs, and I will keep shooting you down!
HAHAHA
-Canadian Heat
http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-166.pdf
There's a picture so bubbs can understand too! HAHA
Notice the 2" exhaust section, prior to the termination? Probably not, your an idiot... Slide thje 2 1/4" armaflex around the exposed exhaust pipe.
His freezing is happening inside the vent pipe, not at the termination.
Good luck bubbs ;)
-Canadian Heat

Yeah, it's going to happen INSIDE where it's warmer.
You're a complete MORON... are you related to Stormin?
Exactly what I said KY Pro!
"His freezing is happening inside the vent pipe, not at the termination."
It is possible to have 2" exhaust run in a non heated space, but still be inside the house.
Your the idiot....why even bother posting, when everytime you do, you end up looking like the moron! Give bubbs a reach around and fuck off!
HAHA
Incompetents!
-Canadian Heat
Might be sloped incorrectly, or not drained. In that case, there may be a pool of water in the vent tube.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thanks for your input, Stormin. We have run into the "pooling of water" problem on occassion, but in this case we know it's an icing problem from condensation. Charlie
I thought Canadian had a good concept. Tubes too long, outside.
Second thought comes to mind. Wonder if you could increase the velocity speed of the exhaust air? Narrow the tube, and really get it ripping along?
With some serious redesign, you could take the intake air from some where else. And that way the hot exhaust would keep the tube warm. Seeing as how it would now behave like double wall exhaust. Without the inrush of cold air, the exhaust tube could actually get warm.
You'd have to convert it back, in the spring.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Have you ever seen, let alone used a concentric kit?

Yeah, that's something I'm sure the manufactures want you doing...

Really? Ever read an instruction manual for piping REQUIREMENTS???

Why?
If it's going to be fucked up during the time it's needed most, why not leave it screwed up the entire time?

The above person just typed some stupid crap...

I'm sure he has...once a week he's allowed to venture away from the home on a day pass.....Dildo does the driving....
--
Respectfully, Bob

Yes Mr. Lulu with one difference that Dido gets pay $100.00 per hour for driving while you can only wish

There isn't a chance in this world that someone pays you $100 per hour. No way. No chance. $100.00 per hour for driving?? You couldn't drive your finger up your ass, let alone get paid for doing it.
--
Respectfully, Bob

Chris, I only see your posts when someone quotes you, but do you have any idea what else happens when you reduce the pipe size with a fluid? Even a guess?

--
The first step to making a dream come
true is to wake up

No. That information was in the teaching by Chris Penn in the movie _Pale Rider_ on how they get enough water pressure to strip mine the overburden. (right before the girl-rape scene).
This is different Stormy.
-zero

WHAT A DUMBSHIT.
THE INSTRUCTIONS HE POSTED CALL FOR A MINIMUM OF 18" EXTENSION FOR CANADIAN APPLICATIONS. danGerR ONLY INSTALLS THEM WITH 12" EXTENSION?

BUBBA, YOUR SISTER-COUSIN IS SMARTER THAN THIS IDIOT.

No big suprise Bubba