compressor size?

My AC is only cooling about 90%, the compressor was replaced, before that everything worked great. would an undersized compressor cause these symtons? I took the grill off to see if I could see a model number but no luck there. Thanks Jim
Chances are that if it was replaced with the *same size* that it is incorrectly charged, or there is a restriction in the refrigerant system, or any other number of problems.... it wouldn't have been installed by the lowest bidder, would it??

It is most likely that the compressor was replaced with the same size. But on a few occasions, I have had seen business' put what ever they had in the shop in units. Case in point. My father's place in FL. My mother and father were in between residences and rented a place. He always complained that the air didn't cool the house. So he bought a window shaker and installed it in the bedroom. I go down to spend sometime and told I would check. I pulled the blower motor and cleaned it, cleaned the evap and condensor oil. Still not cooling properly. I finally get the compressor models numbers and made a few calls and found out that someone install a 24,000 BTU Bristol compressor in a 36,000 BTU condensor. So take it from here

daytona wrote:

WOW! In the old 6-SEER & older units a compressor with a little more Btuh than the condenser rating was not unusual. - udarrell
Yes, it would.
You are allowed to ask more questions.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thank you, Christipher. Now would you please go take your seat.
All right now, class, What is the formula for flow rate per ton, in enthalpy vs. BTU, in pounds per minute?
Metric answers do not concern me. You are powerless against me. I can read your thoughts. Just a few more questions.
Ah, I see! You are weak! You are no challenge for my intellect.
Princess Leah has more split, than you evaporate her coil. Canned answer, skywalker. You have met your match!
How coy'll the Jedi be, when I chill your Tatoonie? Hmmmmmmmmmm?
Weiss up! I have you in a Channellock. Your tongue and groove can't jive me! Get a grip, Han Solo. Stroke it to your heart's content.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info