compressor short protect

Page 1 of 2
Looking for an inexpensive delay relay, 2 minutes or so would be great.
On 24 vac coil then delay contactor make.
Thx

Giving further info here.......
Ive recently re-configured a taystat 103A to "unrestricted mode" but also I added an outdoors stat in order to break the connection from the "W" terminal coming from the honeywell chronotherm III--( effectively locking out propane furnace operation until low os ambient is satisfied )
Now wanting to eliminate completely the possibility of ever having the outdoors stat inadvertanly start the the compressor where the heat pump had just immediatly been cycled off by said taystat kit.

had
Given, some hysteresous (sp) will exist in the outdoors stat, ( which would ordinarilay protect the compressor) I also had added a 3 position manual toggle switch...
1) Heat pump only
2) Heat pump only till low OS is met
3) Normal unrestricted mode.
Anyways, just needing a inexpensive delay here..

Simple delay on break time delay cube should do the trick, they run anywhere from about $12 - $20 and are available in either fixed or adjustable delay. Try a Rheem part number 42-ICM201 (fixed 5 minute delay), or PN 42-ICM203 (variable delay)

sorry... mis-read... Delay on make cube 42-ICM102 (variable)

johnstone part number B11-834 under $10
OEM # ICM102B

Thanks to both of you.
--
SVL

Could I ask, why wouldn't a delay on break be the better choice here?
Joseph

Joseph,
Not quite sure of the exact terminology used, doesnt help that it seems the terminology also varies by manufacturer.
What I wanting to do is place a delay relay inside the condensor unit wiring box, such that upon any call for compressor the unit wouldn't start until a couple minutes have elapsed....as you probably already know, the reasoning here is because it's hard on compressor to re-start under high head, ( as your LRA goes through the roof if you do this)...so best to first let refrigerant pressures equalize for a couple minutes before attempting a re-start.
In case your not familiar with the taystat kit, what it designed to do ( unrestricted mode and without an outdoors ambient stat ) is to allow normal heat pump operation heating mode UNLESS there is also a concurrent call for the gas backup....at that point, the fossil kit shuts down the compressor ( high heat rise in the plenum would otherwise cause excessive high side pressure where the evap coil is located downstream from the furnace HX )
So, at this point in time, you have the inside stat calling for both Y and W, but the taystat has taken over, and shut down Y connection to the condensor section....
Next, once inside temp is satisfied by the gas furnace, then the inside stat shuts off W to the taystat, and also provides a delay ( via a std sequencer )....so the gas quits, then a couple minutes later the heat pump starts back up (so long as the inside stat is still calling for Y...
Anyways, since Ive broken the connection W with a manual switch and outdoors stat, there now exists the possibility of inadvertantly causing a compressor short cycle should someone manually operate the switch to lockout the gas furnace, say for instance a child flicking the switch several times repeatedly...
FWIW, I did mention for him to shut the system down and wait a couple minutes before flicking the--and he usually listens to me fairly well...
My brother ( fair lawyer, excellent beer drinker, not very good with things electrical )...a couple weeks ago he and his neighbor had wired up a generator during a power outage....had 220 going where there shoulda been 110...took out the 24v transformer and the white-rogers controller in his furnace ( and ruined several other appliances, etc )...
And before anyone starts in, I did check operation of all safetys after replacing the WR controller.

That would call for the delay on make timer cube on the contactor control side

<major snippage>
Steve,
Yes and thanks again--btw, your rheem part# panned out for me, I got one on order yesterday...
Also ( in the case anyone here wants to stock up on some outdoor reset thermostats) there's currently 70+ honeywell units available on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0058097455
At a whopping "buy it now" price of $2.50 each then likely won't go wrong on these.

I thought they just called you "Dude" ?

Just don't piss on my fucking rug.
Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

Wouldn't a bed be a more comfortable place to do that?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wiki+the+big+lebowski&btnG=Google+Searc h
HTH

3g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Too funny... Caught it again a few weeks back on HBO or something...I LMAO
Ed

That's what I thought you were talking about. My suggestion is that a delay on break would work better. When the taystat cuts out the compressor it may or may not be running at that time. When the taystat does switch back over to HP and the delay time has been already complete it will start right away rather than wait another five minutes to do so.
Joseph
--snip--

here?
the
wiring
until a

reasoning
as
a delay on break would work better. When the

When the taystat does switch back over to HP

rather than wait another five minutes to do so.

Well thinking about it, yes there may be a better way to go about this that involves placing another relay some place within the taystat, but frankly Im getting kinda burnt out on the whole deal....
Feel free to make further suggestions, I'm gonna try and email you the taystat schematic shortly.
Page 5 or 6 IIRC

that
time.
Joseph,
Nevermind my above post, I got you now....basically a one shot delay..on condition the delay has already occurred then another delay wont occur until another cycle happens to shutdown the compressor--I just hadn't realized such a beast existed.
Oh well, a two minute delay where I've placed it in the operational sequence isn't gonna be a huge deal....there's always next time to do it with better hardware, I spose.

that
Im

It'll work fine. I thought I was missing something... :)
Joseph