Comments welcomed:

Heating/AC 3 ton 14/15 SEER, 12 EISR
Goodman vs. Lennox vs. Rheem
Bid Installed (Easy in and out):
Goodman (14 Seer): $3682
Lennox (14 Seer): $4485
Rheem (15 Seer): $4634
Natural Gas
1711 sq ft house Austin Central TX, vaulted ceilings
I've checked out installers and they have acceptable BBB ratings.
Installers working under umbrella TX state contractors license
Goodman/Lennox: *Airco* = 21 year HVAC Exp per salesman
Rheem: *Autumn HVAC *Installers* Salesman with 3 years exp. Name of installer = Earnest questionable as to experience (7 years?)
Rheem installer said he wouldn't do a Lennox install "Lennox circuit boards bad..." "Goodman cheap".
Signed:
"Homemoaner" (Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death)
olddog
olddog wrote:

Better Business Bureau is a Joke.. We all are members... Do you really think they would diss the very folks that pay BBB's Salaries? Check your neighbors and install whatever equipment is prevalent and has a comuple of competing companies. That way, in an emergency parts are readily available and so is service. I got a Fridgidaire furnace call 34 miles out Sunday nite at -14F and a nasty windchill. Logic board was out.. Where do you get a logic board immediately for a Fridgidaire when the nearest distributor is 280 miles away? Kerosene Torpedo heater has to suffice. Stinks like all get out, but the house stays warm until parts get here.

Don, You might want to try out this board as a stock item. http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemidB9687 Fits a ton of furnaces. Bubba

Bubba wrote:

Sounds good, but this unit was 2 years old and owner expected Warranty parts. I am sure he would have settled for paying cash that night though. These farm boys that decide to be HVAC installers and then haul ass into the sunset are a real pain in the ass.

I'd start by asking your friends and neighbors what they use. I have a Luxaire (by York) furnace in my trailer. My boss used to install almost exclusively Rheem Contour furnaces, he liked the complicated thermostat that communicates with the furnace. The couple times I've worked on Goodman equipment (formerly called Janitrol) it's been reasonable equipment. Given these three quotes, and no other information, I'd take the Goodman install. Less proprietary parts, and easier to work on.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Go with the Rheem. They have the Copeland Scroll compressor. I had one put in 3 years ago and the only problem I ever had with it was a capacitor.
A capacitor going out in the first 3 years makes it a good product??? I've got an old Trane that's never required more than the monthly filter. You need to re-evaluate your standards...
geothermaljones

geothermaljones wrote:

The last Trane I saw caught fire. It's not that hard to stop a Trane. We didn't put 'er in, but we did replace it.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Gotta love those plastic oilfilled Molotov cocktails they call a capacitor.

geothermaljones wrote:

Agreed!
Injun Ear wrote:

I think every unit has capacitor problems. And I think most condensing units are now Copland Scroll compliant. [Except the R-22 13.0 SEER track units.]
But Rheem seems to use rather thin copper on their coils. So does Aspen......
--
Zyp

Injun Ear wrote:

You really shouldn't have any problems in 3 years. But maybe you need the work?
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:05:10 -0600, Injun Ear

Hey Injun, Here's a news flash for ya. All but the cheapest of garbage out there have Copeland scrolls now. Rheen doest have the patent on copeland scrolls. Bubba

Rheem has been using scroll compressors for 20 years now... but like Bubba said, they might have been the first, but.... they don't hold the patents on the compressors.

Go with the one that actually *DOES* the room-by-room Manual J heat loss/load calculations to correctly size the system for your home. If you don't do the math, your only guessing. As far as *equipment* name brand, check out Consumer Reports..... but when it comes down to it, the system will last and perform only as well as it was installed.
You can get it done cheap, or you can get it done right....its your choice.

Why are the bids so cheap? What corners are they cutting to do the jobs?
You must have talked to hacks.