ComfortMaker versys Frigidaire

Page 1 of 2
I'm going to replace my heat pump (2 /12 ton, split system). I've gotten bids from two local (central Florida) installers who have comparable BBB records and similar recommendations from friends. One guy installs Comfortmaker, and the other installs Frigidaire. Any comments regarding the relative merits of these two brands?
Thanks,
Jean
I'm going to replace my heat pump (2 /12 ton, split system). I've gotten bids from two local (central Florida) installers who have comparable BBB records and similar recommendations from friends. One guy installs Comfortmaker, and the other installs Frigidaire. Any comments regarding the relative merits of these two brands?
They're both junk. Take your pick.
--
Build a fire for a man, he\'s warm for a day.
*Set* a man on fire, he\'s warm for the rest of his life.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air/gas-furnaces/furnaces-repair-history-205/overview/
Jean wrote:

from two local (central Florida) installers who have comparable BBB records and similar recommendations from friends. One guy installs Comfortmaker, and the other installs Frigidaire. Any comments regarding the relative merits of these two brands?

Yes... Shitcan BBB! Businesses that ain't worth a shit pay to join them to receive good reports. Those not rated are the ones that refuse to be blackmailed by BBB.

The BBB also reports on businesses that are not members if there have been consumer complaints about them.
So, your answer to my question about the relative merits of Comfortmaker versus Frigidaire is .....?
Jean wrote:

bids from two local (central Florida) installers who have comparable BBB records and similar recommendations from friends. One guy installs Comfortmaker, and the other installs Frigidaire. Any comments regarding the relative merits of these two brands?

Actually BB is very very careful as they have had their asses sued off for misreporting in the past. I have been in business for a few decades and have never kowtowed to BBB. If you want reports on me.. I give you the phone number of the Building inspection officials and a long list of past clientel that have given me permission to use them as a reference. Bad contractors are heavily fined and lose their license here. No BBB needed. You might also call the largest liability insurance company for Contractors in your area and find who has had claims against them.

There are is no bad equipment now a days. Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's we had some real crap unloaded on us. The Government mandated high efficiency and the new equipment was not even tested. The consumer was the test bed. Rheem Ruud, Lennox and Carrier was pure crap in the electronics etc. Now they are among the best. That is my opinion.. Seek advice from those whom consume these products in your neighborhood.

Thanks for the info - it kinda confirms what a couple of seemingly honest installers told me ..."all brands are pretty much comparable now days".
Jean

Thanks for the info - it kinda confirms what a couple of seemingly honest installers told me ..."all brands are pretty much comparable now days".
Jean
Actually there not.....but the only 3 things that matter are the quality of the installation, the quality of the equipment, and the customer service from the installing contractor.
Jean wrote:

bids from two local (central Florida) installers who have comparable BBB records and similar recommendations from friends. One guy installs Comfortmaker, and the other installs Frigidaire. Any comments regarding the relative merits of these two brands?

Hmm, Not really. Spare parts price and availability varies big. And Good installer is spart of big picture)may be more than brand name of the equipment)

Almost every truck for HVAC and roofer's I see has a big BBB logo on them.
If they are bogus they must be good for advertising.
I always check them and if the company has had a complaint in the last 36 months I won't use them.
The roofing company that did my roof had no BBB complaints and they did the job on budget and fast.
HVAC'ers seem to have more trouble with BBB. I could be all wrong. Just an observation. I called a HVAC co. for an est. They never showed. They were not members of BBB. The ones that were did :-?
od

You're missing the point what Don said. I too am an HVAC company. I absolutely refuse to pay the BBB just to be their "MEMBER". Its pure bullshit! I've had no complaints in the last 36 months. In fact, Ive NEVER had a complaint logged against my company, ever! Why? Because if there is a problem, I take care of it. Thank goodness that is very seldom. For my reluctance to join, they will only give me an "A" rating yet for memebers that have several complaints against them or even many complaints, they give them an "A+" rating!!?? I cant get that rating. You figure it out. Bubba

In areas, it maybe less important, like Don says, but in certain areas it's obviously an advertising tool. Some HVAC outfits are tied into building and commercial contracts and don't need BBB endorsement at all. I say good for them! The one that didn't even come out to bid wasn't BBB endorsed and I figured they didn't really need the business. Especially now that it's heating up in central TX. But most residential HVAC co's here seem to be the BBB. I don't have any data.
od
olddog wrote:

Maybe they need them!

In some area's that works.

So if one has been in business since last Saturday, you give them a pass? ;-)

You just made my point. Who recommended them? Think hard now. ;-p

Really? Not around here. It is almost universal that the HVAC contractors assn has told BBB to take a hike. $3 mil minimum insurance sure as Hell insures we make no mistakes to either hurt, kill or other wise find a way to lose our insurance along with human empathy. I consider my customers as the friends that help feed my family.
I could be all wrong. Just

Give me a break! Did you play the El Cheapo game with them, call in the middle of busy season or fail to be at home at the appointed time? Maybe passed out on the sofa when the estimator arrived?
Why pay BBB for advice you can get from your local building officials. Bad contractors lose their licenses here. You mess up and your insurance carrier drops you.. Bang, no insurance ..License is automatically gone. Those that don't get nailed that way are nailed by Building Inspection officials.(Your taxpayer dollars at work)

<snip>

Yes
My insurance agent recommended about 5 companies. Everyone is a BBB member. I checked all of them and most had one complaint but Wilson Roofing had none. I went with them.

No, I didn't play cheapo. I passed on all the Goodman's. ;-) I intentionally called during the cooler months (thinking I might get a break). I'm retired and my dogs wake me up if I'm "passed out". I think I know why they didn't show.

"I" don't pay the BBB. Here the BBB is obviously an advertising tool. As long as most are using it; why buck the system? Why not use it?
I figure if someone is pissed enough to report the co. to the BBB they were pretty pissed off. I don't need that type of aggravation.
I do take word-of-mouth advice. I ask my agent, neighbors, co-workers and friends. I back it up with the BBB. It's part of my system. With the roofing company it worked out well. We'll see if I need a new HVAC system. So far the old one is still holding up (7 y/o Amana!) If you are wondering why I was getting est's a HVAC guy said I should start looking for a new one. I'm not sure it will make it past June but, so-far, so-good.
od
olddog wrote:

A 7 year old system? An Amana? Recommended replacement? Haven't read your Warranty? Do the math. Mo judgmental comments from me on this. That could be why some don't show up to make estimates.

Yes. I think you're right. But that's only guy that didn't show.
Another HVAC guy told me he'd replace the evaporator coil.
I've never seen the warranty. I purchased the house about 2.5 years ago. I dropped the house warranty after the 1st year.
BTW: No one has every actually found the leak! The original HVAC guy assumed the leak is in the ec. I learned later that the guy must of been a hack or something.
Now to find the leak I'd have to pay for a service call to find out the system is probably not worth fixing. I'm sure I'm not the first homemoaner in this situation.
To be honest I don't know what to do.
Isn't the standard industry warranty 5 years on parts? I think the lifetime warranty only covers the original owner.
Thanks!
od

Sorry about the editing. I'm on my lap top.
od

    Get off it ! You're gonna break the damn thing !
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I wish he'd post pics of his hot daughter-in-law.

You need to find yourself a women. The real thing is much better.
od