cold air return in basement

Hi. Hoping someone can help me out here. I am having 2 bedrooms built in my basement. There are adjacent closets in the middle of the basement between the rooms and each have cold air return vents installed. The drywall is up and before the plastering is done (tomorrow) I wanted to look around a little bit. In one room I noticed that the cold air return vent was kind of sitting in the wall in a funny way....so I pulled it out and it saw that there is no ductwork connecting it to the open duct above it running along the ceiling. The same for the other cold air return vent. Essentially, they both connect to a little corridor between the closets that is drywalled in. Am I wrong, or should there be ductwork connecting these vents to the duct in the ceiling...? Any help would be appreciated.

RL

Reply to
Klein-4

It's common to use joist lining, line the outside with some sheet metal and use the 2 joists and the plywood floor as a return air duct. Sounds kinda what you are describing. I would make sure there is an actual connection to a return air line. It sounds like you just have grills and holes in your walls, and no connection to your forced air appliance.

-Canadian Cool

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Got no idea where your at, what you got, or what codes and regulations are applicable.....best to check with your local building inspector.

Reply to
Noon-Air

On May 13, 9:07 pm, DANgER (danger It's common to use joist lining, line the outside with some sheet metal and use the 2 joists and the plywood floor as a

there is an actual connection to a return air

connection to your forced air appliance.

The open duct on the ceiling is connected to the return air line, so it sounds like things should in fact be okay. Thanks much.

RL

Reply to
Klein-4