coil replacement

I just invested some in a new A/C system replacing the air handler (inside) and the condenser (outside). The company that did the work said that I didn't need a new coil but after a few nites i'm starting to wonder if that is true because it doesn't seem that the new unit is getting as cold as the old unit. There is more air coming thru the new unit (special thanks goes to the whistling sound that is coming thru the return vent) and i'm wondering if the old coil is big enough to handle the addtl airflow?

Reply to
tex.dude

Allot of the times, in the long run, it the best time to replace the evaporator coil when you replace the air handler. Most of the time the coil & air handler is the same age.

The whistling sound may be a air leak in the return.

Reply to
Moe Jones

They should have matched the condenser with a new matched A-Coil, or at least a TXV refrigerant control, and a transition into the air intake area of the A-Coil.

There should not be any whistling noises. The return is also probably not sized big enough, with enough area for the filter to get the air velocity down to 300-FPM.

If there is way too much airflow and it was charged with refrigerant when the conditioned space was excessively hot, read the linked page below! That could be the capacity problem!(?) It may be seriously overcharged, airflow maybe within perimeters' when charge is adjusted at normal room temperatures.(?)

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

I had that problem with the carburetor on my Edsel.

An overhaul kit solved the problem. It was only a gas kit. But it sucked, until I got it fixed.

Wanna buy a Pinto? How about a Colt? No? How about a Probe?

Make me an offer I can't refuse!

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

No shit, Sherlock!