code change

Are you guys in the States getting a change to the vent code re: plastic venting? As of July 1 2007, in Canada, all plastic venting will have to comply with ULC S636, which prohibits the use of ABS, and requires any new installations AND retrofits to use approved PVC or CPVC ,stamped with the new code of S636 on the pipe. That means existing furnaces and water heaters currently using ABS will have to have their venting changed, regardless of where the venting runs, ie; inside drywalled ceilings. Customers are gonna love it when you tell them their basement ceiling has to ripped open!
--
Respectfully, Bob

Nice to see Canada catching up with what they should have known from day dot..... I seem to remember hearing about how stupid this was from my visiting (Canadian) Professor at Sydney University at a post grad on IAQ in 1992.
"New Directions In Building Services \\(Australia\\)"

And what exactly were the reasons for it being a stupid idea back in 1992? Are you saying Australia hasn't used PVC for venting since then?
--
Respectfully, Bob

Bob - if you remember it was ABS (CYCOLAC ACRYLONITRILE-BUTADIENE-STYRENE TERPOLYMER) which I was commenting on as being unacceptable for hot flue effluent venting. Such usage as you've been putting this ABS to has been, stupid as you say. Melting Point: 218-262F/103~128C, these materials do not exhibit a sharp melting point but soften gradually over a wide temperature range.
So this material that melts at just above the boiling point of water - is what you've been using as a flue for the discharge of boiler units - duhh!
Grinder dust is an explosion hazard.
Fire Hazard Information: Hazards from burning are intense heat and very high levels of dense black smoke containing carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen cyanide. Fire-fighters should be provided the necessary protective clothing and use a self-contained breathing apparatus approved by NIOSH or MSHA for all fires.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Styrene monomer, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, acrylamide, aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbon fractions, and carbon monoxide may be present. Primary toxic product on combustion is carbon monoxide. Carbon dioxide, an asphyxiate, is also produced.
is this sufficcient information to validate the concerns with using these products or should we go on.....
Regards, Ian
"New Directions In Building Services \\(Australia\\)"

I'm not sure how the above ties in specifically to ABS pipe. All plastics, when burned, release PVC's, or polyvinylchlorides. Or, as we in the field call the products of combustion, methyl-ethyl-bad-shit. But there is a need to switch to a more temperature-resislient venting material. I was just surprised to hear you say that you've known this since the early ninety's
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote
<snip>

<Uhhm you getting off onto some odd and substantially wrong track>
Pvc, when heated releases chlorine gas--what hapen is in contact with humidity the result is hydrochloric acid.

Depends on temps and catalysts available--burn plastics high enough, then only thing left will be co2 and ash.
Big point of contention, depression and anxiety for me--I know the end of mankind, seen it already.
Why not burn the plastics--better than going into a landfill by a large margin.

early
ABS...still best to just use it as a sewer pipe.

Ha! Just wait until code changes forces multi parameter demand control ventilation down your throat.
Test your knowledge: A ventilation rate of 20 cfm per person correspondes to an indoor vs outdoor co2 differential of how many ppm?
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

I have zero knowledge of this, and I'm not about to pretend that I do. Maybe you could bring me up to speed on this. I'd appreciate any info you could give. I think it's a move in the right direction, given the tightness of new construction, and the off-gassing of home products. IAQ is the next hurdle for us as techs to teach the homeowner.
--
Respectfully, Bob

525 ppm

no worries Bob. In all liklihood you will never have to deal with this....in your lifetime.
First off, its a commercial thing and not so much a resi-.
How many resi systems have a modulating economizer controlled by a co2 sensor that calculates the differential between indoor & outdoor co2 levels....
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

Ummmm....my answer is Nantucket.....which shows you how much I know about that.... :-)
--
Respectfully, Bob

Must calculate in for more CFM exchange for broccoli and legume eaters. Also for Mexican food. Methane is explosive twice. Once on spewing and twice in the presence of a flame.
some guy was killed when he ate too many potato pancakes on Passover and he was too close to the Menorah with candles. :-)
Dim
wrote