Clean oil residue from inside refrigerant hoses

My vacuum pump, (soon to be formal vacuum pump), abruptly shut off while I was pulling a strong vacuum. The vacuum it created self sucked some vacuum pump oil into the refrigerant hoses that were connected to it.

I blew out the hoses with compressed air and then had the vacuum pump suck on them for awhile to pull out any residual oil.

Is there anything else I can do to clean the inside of my hoses??? (IPA or mineral spirit flush??)

I won't take a chance using these hoses for R-410A systems but will a very minor amount of vacuum pump oil be compatable with mineral oil in R22 systems?

Reply to
pv=nrt

The vacuum pump basically wont pull residual oil out of your hoses. Blow them out. A minor amount in the hoses wont hurt. You can always get a new set of hoses if you'd like OR try

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Number one you vacuum pump can not vacuum out vacuum oil the only solution is purge it with liquid refrigerant preferable R-11 you don't have it R-134, 12, 114, 22 Etc. if you got any oil into refrigeration system you got problem! From Dido

Reply to
AKS

Oh My Gawd! R-11, R-12, R-22, etc. You didnt really just say that, did you Dido? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"AKS" wrote

Yes, and after that, why not park your truck over top of any catchbasin and drain your old engine oil! Then, if you have any old tires, burn them in your backyard. Dido was going to say that!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Yes I said that and don't gave me your innocence you and many other HVAC guys you can see them on top of roofs blowing refrigerant and then charging customer for it.

And Mr. Loblaw: No I would not be draining motor oil in to catch basin but I am sure you are talking out of experience I think that sound s about right isn't Dido

Reply to
AKS

Dido,

I am sure you meant to say Rx-11; Dupont added an x in the name, making it ozone friendly. If you buy the right stuff and believe (yes, believing is necessary), then it is OK to use the Rx-11.

You did, right? And don't leave any spilled anti-freeze in your driveway for the critters to drink. Ooh.:-((( A lady in Florida killed two guys with anti freeze cocktails.

Reply to
DIMwit

Just drain it in the sewage vent stack.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Here's what I did. I took a syringe and injected each hose with 99% IPA. I gave them each a triple flush until the flushed out IPA came out clear vs. yellowish. Then I hooked them up to my compressor and blasted them out with 40 PSI compressed air.

I suspect at this point they're cleaner then when they came from the factory. I just hope the IPA didn't damage the inner hose material.

I wasn't in the mood to get a $10k fine from the EPA by flushing them with refrigerant. I'm not sure they'd call it a "De Minimus" release.

Reply to
pv=nrt

"AKS" wrote

So, while you're sitting outside in your truck, you can see hvac guys on top of roofs, blowing the charge????... Then you see them go inside and you HEAR THEM charge the customer for lost refrigerant??? What you're REALLY telling us is that YOU do this, and you suspect others of doing it as well, so we shouldn't judge you too harshly, because you're not the only one doing it. Don't try to drag down the rest of us by putting us in the same category as yourself! YOU are a special breed of stupid!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

pv=nrt wrote

I'll assume you're refering to isopropol alcohol. I'm wondering if that would have a detrimental effect on the structural integrity of the hoses??

I agree, not to mention the moral implications. Apparhently, it's not an issue to guys like Dildo....

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Apparhently.....is that a canadian word?

IMO.....I'd much rather read ANYTHING by a guy in the trade than a fly-by-night hack homeowner who first wants to know how to bend 1-1/8 copper, then wants to know how to set up a low flow on his Nitrogen reg, and then fucks up pulling a vacuum. I suppose you're going to tell this ho s*****ad how to charge with superheat & subcooling, after he establishes airflow and TESP, right?

OBTW- I run Castrol GTX 5W-30 in ALL my vac pumps.

Reply to
gofish

snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

Try reading my post gain...I don't recall telling him how to do anything....

Run H2O through them if you want...frankly Scarlett....

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Ignore the above prick!! You're fine using IPA to flush your hoses. It sounds like you're conscientious about your setup.

Some think that HVAC is some deep dark secret. The sooner we get best known methods and practices out there the better the profession will be.

Reply to
Howard

If it was so easy and so simple, then wouldn't *everybody* be doing it for a living?? Its not about HVAC being "secret", its all about the training, education, experience, and just plain common sense. Being qualified on something sharper than a crayon helps too.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I will second that dido

Reply to
AKS

Apparently you don't read the news papers much such as HVAC and RSES magazine and as for me if everybody all AC guys take precautions as much as I do EPA would be out of business and since you like criticize my spelling how about you "Apparently"

Respectfully, Dido

Reply to
AKS

You have right to say what ever you wish however my friend you can snow job some people once a while but not all the time I do not work on roofs, I do not carry ladder's but I do read news from time to time have nice day looser hahaheeeee Dido say that

Reply to
AKS

You're wrong Dido. For one, I dont have any R-11 or R-12. That was a few years ago. Now I spend the $200 for that Calgon Rx-11 kit and use it. The price sucks but what the hell,...........the customer pays for everything. I also dont blow refrigerant. I couldnt afford the fine. It would ruin me. Unfortunately, I have to play the game and use recovery machines. Make no mistake though, If I catch you or someone blowing refrigerant, I would turn you in. I have a camera phone on me and a digital camera in my truck that takes movies with a 2GB card in it. If I have to play by those stupid rules (and I do think they are stupid) then everyone else will. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba