accomplish
out
book
issues.
we
can
where
Suggest Politely decline...
Respectfully even....perhaps a "sorry but we're just totally booked right now"...
Otherwise, kinda like you'll gonna come across as being extremly arrogant..what with your demanding money just for the "opportunity" of their "allowing you" to submit a quote...
One other thing--personally and fwiw, MY time is ALWAYS UP for auction...just that it's definately not some kinda of a "no reserve" situation and starting out at $.99

David, We can't help it if HVAC contractors don't charge! They're too fucking stupid!
Jabs

That would only work if all the a/c companies in your area were doing the same thing.It would also elimanate a lot of potential customers from calling two or three contractors to get the best price and open the flood gates to the unlicensed guys who can underbid because of no overhead.

Im with you 100%. Unfortunately you will be a minority. Charging for a bid when everyone else doesnt will be a huge uphill battle. Fortunately, I dont do a lot of residential bidding. Its repeat customers and word of mouth so I do get a big portion of what I quote. I of course also run through spells where it seems everything I bid I do NOT get. You can always try it and see if it works. I hope for you it does. Bubba

Quotes/Proposals.
Right now I'm implementing it for new prospects. Current, long time clients will still benefit from my services, unchanged. As they have experienced top quality service and understand true value.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

    A GREAT idea!!!! Car dealers could also charge potential customers for a quote for a new car, appliance dealers could charge for inquiries about appliances they sell, and grocery stores could charge customers as they enter the store because they spent time posting the prices of their items on the shelves.
    From your suggestion it sounds like you would rather work for someone, rather than run your own business. I am sure that dealing with customers has its disadvantages, but it also has its advantages. Placing yourself in the other person's shoes can often answer questions such as the one you posed.

Quotes/Proposals.
people
I see you don't understand OUR business... as NONE of the above examples are even close to figuring an exact furnace quote/proposal. As each job is completely different. It's not as simple as furnace A is $2000 and furnace B is $5000
Remember, we are the end manufacture, our product doesn't get set on a shelf as a "plug and play" device. It requires skills to insure reliability while providing personal comfort. Each job is designed to meet your specifications, goals, etc... When was the last time you received a "free blueprint" from an Architect?

This may very well be the best advice given so far. Pure gold, IMO.
--
Respectfully, Bob

Let me get this right......... It costs over $4,000/mo to keep my doors open, and my truck on the road and you want me to run around 9 counties doing nothing but burning my time, giving free prices to tire kickers that may or may not even want to put in a new system?? I don't think so.
Noon-Air wrote:

    How you run your business is your choice. It sounds as if you are intelligent enough to realize you are competing with other people who perform the same type of service you do. You also must realize that EVERY business has expenses, you are not unique. An example is advertising. When you purchase this item, only a small percent of those who see it are likely to call you as a result of it. It is however a cost of doing business. As I stated above in my examples of a car, appliance dealer, or grocery store, they too have expenses in order to appeal to new customers. If you make poor decisions in attracting customers or retaining those you had, you will pay the price. Isn't life interesting???
I am NOT in business for myself, but I DO have an idea of how I would manage a business if I were. Since word of mouth is the best advertisement you can possibly acquire, I would deal with my customers in a way so they walked away believing they received a quality job, a fair deal, and would get one in the future. I would also recognize that in acquiring them as a customer the first time would take more on my part than dealing with them on a subsequent visit. This is called "Investing my time."
    Finally I often read about how the "Professionals" in this news group criticize homeowners who attempt to repair their own units. Do you suppose your comments and others like them could be motivating them to do this??

Actually I only have one or 2 other companies that I even consider as "competition". A little competition is healthy. What *isn't* healthy, are the jacklegs and spec house builders that figure they can do it for nothing and screw up the market for those of us who are actually in business to make a profit, instead of just doing it cheap. As another regular on here is fond of saying, 19,000 HVAC contractors go our of business every year because they didn't charge enough. I have been in business for over 10 years. 'nuff said

Its investing a lot of time and a lot of money.

My comments are generally aimed at safety issues and keeping some clueless idiot that isn't qualified on anything sharper than a crayon from doing damage/harm to life, limb, anod/or property. If I think somebody may be able to handle it without doing more damage, I will e-mail them privately. If they have a bogus e-mail address listed, thats on them.

You mean we didn't fall of the wagon a couple years ago? :-)

Nope, because we learned the business of running a business.

You're missing one small point Junior Ken. As a potential customer, you hop in your car, truck, bicycle or golf cart and drive off TO the car dealership. In our case, WE bring EVERYTHING to your freakin door AND install it! As soon as a car dealership drives over to my home, fills it with gas and drives me everywhere and anywhere I want to go anytime I want to go............THEN I might just think about paying for his quote. Would you like like to try again now with a little bit better example? Bubba

I have come up with a unique solution to this problem which has saved me thousands of dollars. I am willing to share this with you, but first I'll need a cheque from you...
:-)
Seriously, I tell people that we don't go door to door offering quotes because we could spend all day, every day doing that. Then I ask them some pertinent questions regarding their particular case, explain to them some options such as mid or high, builders grade versus high-end 2 stage, the reasons my company is the best one to deal with, and by doing this the customer usually says something like "You sound like you know what you're talking about, nobody has explained it like you have, I think I want to go with your company. I also tell people right from the get-go that we are NOT the Walmart of HVAC, in other words, if you want the cheapest guy in town, you called the wrong place. If you want the best job done, properly sized, properly installed, properly setup afterwards, polite workmen in your home, someone who'll respect your home, your flooring, your furniture, etc..., someone who'll answer the phone in the event of a warranty issue, then you called the right place. I usually finish my speal with this analogy... "Furnaces/ air conditioners, are like cars. Anyone can sell you one. Not everyone who sells them knows how to fix them or set them up to operate properly. The lowest bidder usually isn't a service tech capable of repairs or a proper installation. He'll install it, take your money, and promise you a nice long warranty, a warranty he isn't capable of honoring." Apologies for the long winded response. :-)
--
Respectfully, Bob

properly
repairs
Thanks for the information Bob.
I have tried a similar scenarios, but there are many people that listen to you talk and know they can 'benefit' from your 'on-site' visit. So they schedule an appointment 'only' to further benefit with absolutely no intensions of hiring you for your services.
If they know it's going to cost them for a complete analysis (the prices shoppers) will no longer be wasting your time. If they are truly interested in your proposal, they'll be willing to pay a small fee that will be going towards the overall cost anyway.

get back to us in six months with your report on how you've increased your closing ratio on sales & net income.
obviously you've never competed in the commercial enviroment, and with your current game plan, never will.
Kenny, you talk about 'marketing' your company. Why fuck around asking inane questions on usenet when there are 100% legit companies associated with our industry that do nothing but marketing !!
Of course, if you were a member of SRT, you would already know this and wouldnt have to resort to querying faceless strangers on usenet.
http://www.hudsonink.com/default.shtml

Quotes/Proposals.
The direction of this post is towards the residential market.
My commercial accounts don't 'price shop', they want their shit fixed. Correctly, as they don't want to be bothered with it again.
And then take for fucking ever to pay! Most commercial accounts have a "payables" and eventually pay, just seems to take them forever. I "had" one account that was fairly large and seemed they were always about 3 months to the rear. Always owing...
--
Zyp

<kjpro @ usenet.com> wrote in message
Zephyr wrote: