Charge Heat Pump in AC mode even in winter??

I just want to double check this method. My 15 year old Lennox HP is a little low on refrigerant charge per the pressure charts in the manual. (about 40 psi low on suction and 50 psi low on the high side relative to the charts)

Lennox states when adding charge, (as opposed to complete evac. and recharge), to heat home to 74, switch HP to AC mode, turn thermostat to 68 degrees and block the condenser vents to build up some high side pressure. Then introduce refrigerant until parameters are correct per their charts.

I have no reason to doubt this. I just wanted to make sure this method is applicable in winter ambient temps. (ie 40-50 outside ambient)

Reply to
henny

How the f*ck would we know? We aren't engineers...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

What did your tech say?? What?? You say you didn't call one?? When you get done screwing it up, let us know what your SST and superheat is.

Reply to
Noon-Air

All this method does is simulate a clogged condenser coil.

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

"B-Hate-Me" wrote in news:ZJGdncVdy7mErs7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yes! Thank you! I've been saying this for years to techs I know, and they all argued that "everybody does it that way", to which I replied "that doesn't mean it's right". I've always maintained it's a piss-poor way to try to simulate a load...

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw