Central A/C unit freezing up...

Page 1 of 2

Hi guys. We had a central air system installed about 2 years ago. It never has really worked all that well. What happens is after the unit is on for about an hour or more, the unit inside the furnace freezes up. It just starts to blow semi cold / warm air. If I turn the unit off , it'll thaw itself out eventually and work again. I've had one guy come and look at it already and he says everything is working fine.. Obviously it's not. Suggestions? The small tube going into the furnace gets ice cold (Not shielded). All the vents in the house are open. It's a 3 tonne unit, 1800 sq/ft house.
Thanks
Blarg wrote:

How often have you replaced the filter inside the furnace?
Hey Tony! which Tony you want to be #1 or #2 I would like to know if you don't mine so we can keep kjpro strait From Tony

Doesn't really matter, both of you are incompetent.
Hmm that's funny I guess I did not flush this morning

You flush everytime you post...
Don't you see your shit on your computer?

1) Call the same guy back out to your house
2) Have him check the system pressures
3) As he's down there putting his gauges on, kill him
4) Call another company and repeat as necessary until fixed

Make sure all your vents are kept wide open, change your filter, then call a *COMPETENT* tech to correct the problems.
who installed this pos ? was this a diy ?

0about an hour or more, the unit inside the furnace freezes up. It just istarts to blow semi cold / warm air. If I turn the unit off , it'll thaw aitself out eventually and work again. I've had one guy come and look at it dalready and he says everything is working fine.. Obviously it's not. rSuggestions? The small tube going into the furnace gets ice cold (Not ashielded). All the vents in the house are open. It's a 3 tonne unit, 1800 sq/ft house.inThanks
Does the small tube get cold before the large tube gets cold? That would tell us a lot. In any case, it sounds like something that needs a repair guy.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I guess that leaves you out. Fucking hack.

Ya think?
When I first turn the system on, the small tube will stay warm for awhile. Takes an hour or more then it will get ice cold. The furnace filter is new, first thing I checked. All vents are wide open.
Thanks for the replies!

Often on an otherwise properly working unit that means the freon is low. But since it sounds like your unit has never worked properly there are many other things that could be the problem. The airflow over the inside coil could be too low. Was this unit added to an existing forced air heating system? The air handler inside needs to be rated to provide enopugh air flow for a 3 ton unit. The fan setting inside the unit needs to be on high for ac. It's not likely that you will be able to fix it yourself. Did you have the original installers try to fix it? How many times? Enough to figure out they are morons? You might need to get someone that knows what they are doing take a look at it, it's not likely that anyone will be able to diagnose it very well over the internet.
With the liquid line starting warm, and then going to frosty, I'm thinking either clogged filter, or maybe solder balled joint some where.
Hard to tell without a tech there at the house taking readings.
If it was low air flow, I'd expect a frosty suction line, and an ice dam in the evaporator. But frosty liquid line?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You suggest his blower needs to be on "high for cooling"? Is that the setting you always use?

Yeah sure..... I can see it now... 125,000 BTU furnace with 1 hp blower on high and a 2 1/2 or 3 ton A/C
That's seriously good fortune telling. Now, what did President Bush have for dinner tonight?
--
.
Christopher A. Young