ceiling fans as supplement to a/c

Because we live in an old house with old ductwork, our new Central a/c does not do much for our second story rooms - bedrooms, study, etc.

Is it a problem if we leave the upstairs window open while the central air is on? Also we have ceilign fans and a window exhaust fan - is it ok to use these at nigh when we are trying to sleep?

thanks

Ken

Reply to
ken

Ken, You can do whatever you want. What you are suggesting wont be very energy efficient nor easy on your wallet. Old duct work has nothing to do with your problem. Improper sizing of the duct work and/or your unit may be the problem. Keep in mind, just because you open your upstairs windows DOESN'T mean the hot air will rush out the window. You may be getting hot air and humidity coming back in. Good insulation, good attic ventilation, ceiling paddle fans and running your furnace fan constantly may all help. The only permanent fix is to have the duct work and system properly sized including adequate return air ducting on the second floor. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Power roof vent!

Reply to
daytona°

It's a waste of electricity, but you ARE the one paying the bill.

Reply to
<kjpro

Here we go again keep you windows close shut the fan off and divert your AC out put air up straits if your stairways have doors live it open. How much of diversion do lilted experimental

60 % up and 40 % down if not enough increase to 70% up and 30% down I will assumed that your AC is located in basement or on the first floor, Don&#39;t worry about the first floor cool air will find it&#39;s way down cheep solution but it works Tony Note: If Lawblow makes comment "Disregard It"

Reply to
Tony