Cat in the furnace

Ought to mention that I do a little heating and AC in addition to the locks.
Another look into my life ====================== A couple weeks ago, a firned of mine had a kitten which fell into the heater duct. She called the fire department, who came out and took the duct apart. And left it in pieces. I got to put it back together.
Well, she called again. Thinks a different cat went downt he duct (from second floor bathroom, no less). I'm out the door to rescue the cat. ths time without fail we screw some covers over the duct, to cover the vent. Or maybe staple some screen or something like that.
=====================Figuring this was another one of the same, I took apart the same duct I'd put back together the last time. No signs of cat, in the seven inch round duct. I followed that back to the furnace, there was a patch piece of metal over where there used to be a humidifier. So, I started to take that apart. I looked in as best possible, no cat. Went out to the truck and got my miror, and used that to look into the heat exchanger, and back through the duct. No cat.
Gwen asked if the cat might be in the heater. Not likely, but I did pull the cover panel off. No cat by the burners. I pulled the lower panel, which exposed the circuit board, and the blower fan. Look in with my mini mag, and surprise!
Cat looking back at me.... and blast, I didn't have my camera with me. That was a total Kodak moment.
I talked to the cat for a moment, and Gwen came over. She was pleased the cat was still alive. She reached in, and pulled the cat out. They went upstairs to get the cat a drink of water, and some to eat.
I put the furnace covers back on, and also the duct back together. I'd brought some screen wire to staple over the vents. And screwed shut a part of the vent that was open, in the back. Hope not to do this again.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You should leave that to licensed professionals, after all, how would you feel if they started doing locksmithing?
That's a profound thought. In my part of the world neither one requires a license.
I've been doing refrigeration for 12 years, and HVAC for six. Locksmithing gets boring after 21 years.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

NY state doesn't require any contractors or other license to do HVAC or refrigeration work? Even if true you still need a 608 certification nationwide.

And based on your own postings the swath of destruction you have left in your wake rivals a decent sized tornado.

No, NY doesn't require an HVAC, nor for that matter any other trade, license. Specific municipalities may require them though. Both of the cities we're near require an HVAC license, but it's a formality...until you screw up I guess.

--
Cats are easier to train than kids!

Same with PA...no license...except certain cities or municipalities.....and this because they can get $$$$$ from you for a permit. When their people don't know shit about what your doing....all you bring is your check book

I've had inspectors flat out tell me they really didn't know much about our field, but that our work looked very nice so no questions asked.
I recently had to explain to an inspector why a low water cut off, manual high limit reset and backflow preventer were more than just good ideas on a public accessible building.

Cats are easier to train than kids!

Steve Scott wrote:

wow that is truly scary. what incentive is there for doing quality work? Or work remotely resembling the UMC?
If no licensing, does that mean no bond requirements as well?
workers comp requirements?
who persues & prosecutes the incompetents?
who enforces whether permits are pulled?

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:40:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Bonds are generally only required on large public projects like schools.

Gotta have WC.

That's rarely done and I think only is cities where licensing is required. Even then the only thing I've heard about in years was someone got dinged doing plumbing w/o a license.

I'm having a heluva time getting the local officials to even require permits in my town. I don't know how stringent they enforce permit pulling in the municipalities that require licenses. I don't care to find out so we always pull a permit.
I did have an inspector stop by a job recently we didn't pull a permit on. We had a sign out front though so I guess he figured we weren't trying to slide one by. He was pretty cordial. Just asked us to pull one soon.
--
Cats are easier to train than kids!

Only need the 608 card for air conditioning -- and then only if you add or remove refrigerant. Heating guys don't need a 608 card.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.