Carrier vs Comfortmaker

I've gotten 3 quotes for a new central 5 ton A/C unit here in central Flori da. My last Trane unit lasted 12 years, so I thought why not get another. But 2 companies said they would recommend a Carrier. The third recommende d Comfortmaker - which I immediately dismissed thinking it was along the li nes of Janitrol. But he claimed it is identical to Carrier, both owned by UT, and would save me money. So? Am I really paying more for a Carrier ju st for the name? Thanks.
On 11/14/2015 4:41 PM, lborne wrote:

unit lasted 12 years, so I thought why not get another. But 2 companies said they would recommend a Carrier. The third recommended Comfortmaker - which I immediately dismissed thinking it was along the lines of Janitrol. But he claimed it is identical to Carrier, both owned by UT, and would save me money. So? Am I really paying more for a Carrier just for the name? Thanks.

I don't know the answer about those. But, I have heard that some equipment is same, except for the name plates.
As to your units, my understanding is that good installation and maintenance is as important (or more so) than which brand of equipment. For example, the outdoor unit should be washed with water and chemicals every couple years. Every year, if you're near the coast, and salt spray.
Good quality filters for the indoor unit. Etc.
On 11/14/2015 3:41 PM, lborne wrote:

Carrier owns Janitrol/Goodman. Cut to the chase..All of the modern units are pretty much the same. Purchase whatever is dominant in your area. That way you will always get service and parts. All of the new units are high tech..use higher pressures and require service and repair more often then the old ones did. Carrier and Trane are Chevrolet's with Cadillac hood ornaments. The cheaper models are just as good with out the expense. There are only a few manufacturers left...But they have bought out the rest and many make up to 9 different name brands that are the same. Bryant is also a Carrier, and cheaper. Janitrol has a good lifespan and compares with the Cadillac brands for repairs..And the parts while much the same are cheaper.
lborne wrote:

installation is more important than brand name of equipment. Always I used Carrier. I became very familiar with their design philosophy and it is easy to get their parts when needed.